So the people at the quilt store must love me. I can't for the life of me seem to figure out how much fabric to buy. This week, I went into one of my fave fabric locations to pick out some backing. I had done the calculations at home. (After working all night.) Whoops.
So, later that night when I sowed the pieces together, the overall size of the backing was half of what it should have been. So, off to the store again this morning. Two more yards oughta do it, I thought. Then tonight, when I went to start the assembly of front-to-back, I realized the backing was STILL 8 inches too short. Fortunately, I had enough trimmed off from my two previous purchases that I was able to piece the whole thing together, and it actually doesn't look too bad!
Also, I'm still trying to figure out why my quarter-inch seams are not exactly a quarter-inch. Someone at the quilt store recommended trying out moleskin as a marker for my machine when I could figure out where to mark the exact quarter inch. Even with that, though, some of my quilt blocks are still different sizes. Alas. So many techniques and things to learn about this old beastie machine! (It's almost as old as I am! Still has the old heavy-as-lead hardwear and everything.) Fortunately, the folks at the quilt store said I can take it in to them sometime and they'll help me figure out where I'm going wrong: whether it's my quarter-inch marker, or the way I press the fabric, or the thread size and stitch settings on the machine.
www.quiltersparadiseesc.com
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment