Well, dear blog readers, a light at the end of the tunnel finally is in sight! The lactation specialist came by a while ago and stated that there's a "rumor" of Cameron being able to go home probably within another week if he keeps doing well and increases his feeding tolerance! Hooray! I find I don't get much rest after waking up at 5:00 and staying here until after dinnertime. At least at home I can nap more often. (Or is that wishful thinking?) I can't believe the little guy is 2 weeks old already!
Having worked in the NICU, I can say that our neighbor babies (both girls with interesting parents) can really be aggravating sometimes. I know the babies can't help the way they cry. One cried all the time all day long because her visitors wouldn't let her sleep or rest; they were constantly playing with her. The other one has the opposite problem: she cries whenever her parents have to leave the room. The nurses do what they can to calm her down and soothe her, but it's no easy feat when you have a busy assignment. And both babies are extremely shrill. It makes me so grateful that our little fella doesn't really cry much. I don't know where he gets his good nature from, but I can't complain. The most noise he makes is when the temp probe is under his arm, but even then he doesn't cry very often. Here's to peace and quiet (knock on wood) when we bring him back to Corvallis!
The job situation is still pending. Since I went out on leave earlier than planned, the hospital reposted my position, and another RN has applied. My manager is going to be posting another position, but I have no idea at this time what shift it will be or how many hours it will entail. While I was a little bummed to lose my position, I think it was probably a blessing in disguise. The way they make their schedule is that you have the same exact days assigned every two weeks.
For example, if you work Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday and then other days the following week, that schedule repeats itself every two weeks indefinitely until you resign or beg for a change from the management. If holidays should fall on your assigned days of work, you work the holiday. If not, then you get that holiday off. (Except for Christmas. That one is always assigned.) Also, when someone quits, whoever is hired to take their place inherits their schedule. My predecessor worked every single Sunday and just about every Friday night, in addition to working 5-6 shifts in a row. That schedule would have been really difficult for me, especially with taking care of a new infant. I'm secretly hoping for an evening shift instead of night shift, because by 3:00 most of the discharges have gone home for the day, and it's a little less busy post-partum. The only busy part of the unit seems to be labor and delivery in the afternoon. Plus it would add a little more normalcy to our lives vs. night shift.
Well, dear blog readers, enough ramblings from me. Happy Tuesday!
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
OOhhhh yuck, a set schedule until you die???? what are they thinking????? hopefully when you are ready, that afternoon position will open up, and with a great schedule too. good luck!
and 2 weeks already??? for each of my kids, I took a picture each week for the first month, and every month thereafter through 1 year. at some point when i get time, i'll make a collage of those pics for them to hold onto.....well, i'm not so sure i'm giving them up too soon~! :)
Post a Comment