Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Surprise

Hello, dear blog readers. I have to say: this week has been a wonderful week in a lot of ways. Hubby is in Japan, (I'm not saying THAT'S a good thing--he comes home on Saturday, which IS a good thing), which allowed for my mom (aka "Grammy") to come and visit, which is a VERY good thing! It's been great to have had visits this month from both Grandmas in our family. We got to eat by the beach last night, despite the rain. I learned a bunch of sewing tips from my Mom, which has been far more helpful than reading "how to" books, I can assure you! The woman really ought to patent her ideas. Anyway, onto the surprise blow for the week: I was diagnosed with cancer today. Still trying to figure out how to process that news. According to the doctor, there's no way to prove that my thyroid nodule is malignant or benign, but the genetic biopsy did come back positive for cancerous growth. Not what I was expecting to hear, especially since the preliminary biopsy was 98% accurate for being negative. Part of me still feels like I must be a drama queen, especially since we're still in the waiting game. I am waiting to hear back from a pathologist in PA to determine whether this is indeed malignant growth. If not, we will continue to monitor for nodule growth over the next few months to see if surgery is needed. According to my physician, however, I will most likely need to plan on having the whole thyroid removed. So. There is our news. For anyone reading this who likes to pray, please do. This has been both one of the best and one of the worst years of our married lives. I do have to say, though, that great comfort is found in prayer (especially with fellow believers and/or family) and in reading the Psalms. Somehow the Lord knows what we need to hear better than we know ourselves. Hubby reminded me that it is the Lord who carried us through tough times before. I'm so thankful for his mercy and goodness toward us, even though we least deserve it. Well, dear blog readers, time to go look at some quilting books that Grammy bought for me today. (We call it "research and development" projects these days.) Happy Wednesday for you all, dear blog readers!

5 comments:

Auntie Kates said...

You are in my prayers, Pam. I know what it is like to get that news - all kinds of thoughts and emotions run through your mind. Keep me posted. I am trusting God for a complete recovery for you.

jvlev said...

I'm SO sorry to hear this Pam. My daughter-in-law went through months of testing from January to June, so I can (sort of since it wasn't me) relate to what you're going through. I'm thankful for your trust in God and His faithfulness.

Love and prayers,

Lois

The San Diego Family said...

Oh Pam, so sorry to read your news tonight. There must be a whirlwind of thoughts going through your mind minute by minute. I am glad your husband will be home soon. In the meantime, you are right, the Bible can give you so much comfort in times of need. Aren't we so lucky to have such serenity in it? I will certainly pray for you and your family during these times for sure.
Heather Smith

SunnySusan said...

Yes, this is def not the news anyone wants.
I have no words, only prayer

Jane in TX said...

I just looked on your blog tonight (for the first time in a couple of weeks) & am shocked & so sorry to read of your thyroid diagnosis as probably needing surgery & being cancerous. :-( Please be assured of my prayers as you & Hubby & the kiddos go through whatever comes. We love you all very much.