Here goes my inaugural blog post. I was inspired by Sarah and Mike with their postings.
I had to share what sorts of Good Things can happen to a nurse, even if they are mundane. I recently read a blog about realtors vs. spiders (again Sarah, awesome analogy!). In my case, I would have to say I think I would rather be dodging spiders than some of our docs. After all, spiders can't belittle you in front of other people, and they can't throw temper tantrums. Or, at least, I've never seen one hop around in a web out of sheer rage. I might be wrong, though. Though they are equally as creepy and nasty and fully of venom as SOME (not all) physicians, if you really have the opportunity, you can just squash them. Can't really do that to a human.
Moving on, our worst physician recently had a stroke (no, I don't count THAT as a good thing!), and we were expecting him to be back in action at the hospital as of the first of July. We found out recently he won't be working at the hospital at all. (Yay!) The nurses in the station actually clapped and cheered. As one of them put it, "There is a God!"
A large victory for nursing is a rather sad commentary on the state of our medical times, but what can I say? Makes me happy to know that I can go to work and the worst I might see is a spider instead. (Yes, our hospital is old. They exist there, too.)



2 comments:
Love your blog! Yeay Pam! I will read daily.
Can't wait to see you guys on Thursday!
Hospitals are a breeding ground for irrationally selfish and small minded people. When I was doing security for a little while, I worked in a hospital parking lot, making sure the right people with the right privileges were parking where they were supposed to. A hospital seems to me to be a heirarchy of privileges, and a very complicated one. At the bottom are the janitors and security types, then come the nurses aides, then the nurses, then the nurse practitioners, then the doctors and administrators. And they all have different privileges regarding everything. Even in the smallest things.
When I was doing security, there was construction going on, and the whole reason why I had a job was because the people in the hospital were mad about the construction workers parking in their parking areas. Essentially this meant that the hospital workers had to walk a little further in the rather large parking lot to go into work. So my job was to remind the construction workers of their status in the world, to remind them that they were second class citizens of this hospital, and that they had to park out in the special parking lot way out in the boonies set aside just for them.
And everyone involved was intensely angry about it all the time. The hospital's regular security guards would get so worked up about it that it made me laugh. Having to walk a little farther in the parking lot to get to a job at which you will be on your feet all day anyway prompted these people to fly into a murderous rage. I couldn't believe it. All over parking privileges.
But I remember they told me that construction workers get to park here, nurses there, and patients there - but doctors, doctors do whatever they want whenever they want. These were my instructions.
Stupid hospitals.
Post a Comment