So, dear blog readers, there are some really, really cool things I'm learning in my line of work.
The human brain forms 1.8 million synapses every minute in utero. (A premie brain at 23 weeks doesn't look like a brain, but continues to develop after delivery. If things go well.)
There are specialties that nurses can pursue: cardiac specialties; extremely low birth weight specialties; and I think there are a couple of others but I'm sure.
Babies with diabetic moms have increased risk for heart defects and lung problems. Good to start prenatal care before getting prego. (Okay, so that doesn't sound cool, but it's interesting to know as a diabetic.)
Babies actually can communicate even when born prematurely due to certain movements: fanning of fingers, saluting, etc. These things communicate stress along with changes in heart rate and blood pressure.
Most of the nutrients in breastfeeding come at the end of the feeding cycle.
The third stall in the women's room will leave you scrambling after sitting down because the door doesn't latch well. Good thing it's not in front of the door into the restroom. (Not from personal experience, but I saw it happen to other people.)
More interesting things to come from the new job blog, but right now I can't seem to think of any.
Monday, May 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
The only one I was familiar with was that the nutrients come mostly at the end of breastfeeding which is in the book that I used for Blake "Becoming Babywise". They said that which is why they stressed "full feedings" as they called it. At least 10-15 minute sessions on each side for a newborn to get all the good stuff it needs. Also prevents needless snacking one or two hours later.
Post a Comment