So, dear blog readers, I started back to work today. Not only was L&D completely full, but we had four patients laboring in post-partum. Oi! Needless to say, I got pulled from orientation in order to admit a couple of labor patients. After that, I took a fetal demise in the nursery. Her due date was the same date as LB (aka "little buddy.)" I have taken care of demises before, but I have to say, this one was particularly difficult due to the similarities in size and age as my own tiny boy. Not only did we have to attempt to clean her macerated body, but we had to assist the OB in obtaining sizeable tissue samples for pathology. I've never come close to being sick while working in mom-baby services, but today was rough.
The bright side: going home to my howling babe and getting to hug on him and to be thankful that he is alive with his noisy spitty self.
To boot, some lady in the elevator looked at me on my way out the door heading for home and asked me when my baby is due. I tried to respond as graciously as I could, making some joke about not being able to lose the baby weight, but I have to admit my vanity was just a little irked that people apparently view the muffin-top as being more than it is. Time to bite the bullet and buy some Spanx and new pants. The bright side: at least I have an excuse to go shopping; my old pants will probably never fit again, and the maternity pants have outworn their purpose!
Another bright side: my hubby, after babysitting all day today and being up with the baby from bedtime to 2:00 am after preaching twice and teaching Sunday school yesterday, volunteered to get groceries and to hit K-Mart for baby supplies. What an understanding guy!
Last but not least: good cravings! I've been meaning to post this recipe as one of my favorite things from the summer. My mother-in-law (aka "Mim") made this salad for us while she was staying in town and when the peaches were at their ripest. It's one of my favorite salads hands-down! If any of you can still get peaches, (or any other sweet sort of fruit,) this is worth a try.
-Lettuce greens
-Chopped peach(es)
-Toasted walnuts (we threw ours in a skillet on the stove top for a couple of minutes). Smoked almonds work well, too.
-Goat cheese crumbles
Dressing:
-Fresh lemon juice
-Olive oil
-Sugar (or splenda)
-Poppy seeds
For making the dressing, I just fiddle around with the oil and juice until I get the flavor I like. Same with adding sweetener. No hard and fast rules here; just good eats!
On that note, dear blog readers, it's time to hug on my crying babe some more. Here's hoping you are all having a better day!
Monday, September 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
I am sad you had such a rough day. But glad you were able to come home to a happy and healthy house at the end of it. As for the pant size, you can probably fit into the same size again someday if you really want to. It just takes time and patience. Don't let the stupid people get you down! Just keep looking up!
Post a Comment