Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Trail of Thought

Hello, dear blog readers! Well, after three months of baby bowel discomfort and spitting issues and lots and lots of crying and lots and lots of diarrhea, we did some research on infant lactose intolerance. It turns out that lots of preemies have this problem since the enzyme lactase is developed more toward the end of third trimester. After cutting out all of the usual suspects (i.e. eggs, fish, shellfish, dairy, etc.) from my own diet for the last few weeks, there has been no change in baby issues.

So, after much debate and after a difficult decision, we decided to give up the breastfeeding for a few days and tried lactose-free formula. No diarrhea today! He's a little more spitty and smells like stale McDonald's french fries, but he seems like a much happier baby. Will monitor for further issues.

But speaking of Mickey D's, (for those of you who haven't watched the documentary "Super Size Me,") I have to say it's a little unnerving having baby formula smell so much like one of our nations favorite fast food chains. What does that say about the formula? Well, per the nutrition information on the powder can, it's ok for human consumption. It also makes me think that McD's probably uses quite a bit of soy (or bad potatoes?) as filler in their products?

Thoughts, anyone? I'm sure someone out there knows what's in the ingredients, but I don't think I want to know. (Not that I've eaten there in a while....)

There was someone that I used to work with who had never taken her children to McD's. In fact, she used to tell her kids that as punishment, she would take them to McDonald's for dinner and they would start to cry. I don't know that I would go to that extreme, but the lack of nutrition would almost make it worthwhile.

Anyway, dear blog readers, it's back to bed for me! This is my sixth night shift in a row (to be followed by five nights off including Cameron's baptism date!), as evidenced by the trailing random thoughts.

Happy Tuesday, dear blog readers!

No comments: