Hello, dear blog readers! Now that I'm on modified bedrest (and since we've had to cut back on a bit of spending over the last few months anyway), we're finding that a) we don't know how we ever lived without our crock pot and b) the bread machine is one of the greatest inventions EVER, especially if you're dealing with carpal tunnel and time management. Nothing like getting cheap meat, some packaged seasonings, a five-lb bag of carrots/onions/potatoes/celery, and other miscellany to go to into the pot, and voila! Great stews and other wintry dishes on the cheap. We're also learning how to use various inexpensive grains-for example, I never knew that barley and wheat kernels sell at the store for about 56 cents a pound. (No wonder those grain farmers have a hard time making it some years--here's to you, Mom and Dad!) Works great as a stew thickener and to add some bulk for leftovers.
Anyway, dear blog readers, if anyone has some great bread machine or crock pot recipes to share, I'm all about great homemade recipes these days, if for no other reason than that I can do the prep work a little at a time, throw stuff in a pot, turn it on, and have dinner ready at the time of day when my contractions are starting up regularly. It's a great way to allot my time in order to stay off of my feet.
Speaking of which, in case I forgot to blog about it earlier, the doctors did decide to go the route of modified bed rest, which means more or less taking it as easy as possible with a toddler, putting my feet up if I start feeling contractions, but more or less being allowed up and out of bed to do light activities around the house or getting groceries if I don't overdo it. No heavy lifting, heavy cleaning, etc., but it's nice to be allowed to sit on the floor while Toodler runs around and plays peek-a-boo from other rooms or from behind furniture.
I have to admit I was relieved to see the ticker today that says 25 weeks! (I started contracting at 23 weeks, which is really more or less a non-viable age for a baby to be born. The "minimal" hit-or-miss age of viability is about 24 weeks, so for each day that she stays put, I am grateful.)
Anyway, dear blog readers, Happy Tuesday (soon to be Wednesday) to you all!
Tuesday, December 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
If you don't have the Fix It and Forget It Cookbook for crockpots you should so get it! I've bookmarked several favorites and keep finding new ones! I can email you some of them in the mean time... Hope you're feeling well and hanging in there!
I concur with the above comment about the cookbook. I use mine a lot. Crock pots are awesome and I so wish I could get a bread machine. i'd love to make fresh bread without all the work. Ha! I'll have to go through some of my favorite crock pot recipes and email them to you as well.
Post a Comment