Hello, dear blog readers, and Merry Christmas!
I would just like to preface the following by saying that I recognize we live in a country of great opportunities, privilege, and well-being. I am SO appreciative of the benefits that I have of living here, and of the various blessings that I've been granted.
That said, here are some of the conversations that took place yesterday. Is it me, or is customer service just not what it used to be?
1) Since Hubby and I have decided to try a cash-based budget for a while, I went to the bank briefly to get cash out of the ATM. Since Hubby was in the military, we have our banking accounts through a bank that does not have a local branch here because we get such great interest rates and benefits of banking through them. It does not make sense to switch to another bank at this time, especially since we do not know where he'll be getting a job. Anyway: with my cold hard cash in hand, I approached a teller.
"Hi. I would like to exchanged a couple of 20's for denominations of 10's and 5's."
"No problem. What's your account number?"
"I don't actually have one here. My husband and I have moved a lot in the last couple of years. I just got cash out of the ATM right over there since this is one of my bank-approved locations to get cash without a fee."
"Iiiiiiii'm sorry. We can't exchange cash if you're not a member."
"You can't exchange cash for cash?"
"No. Iiiiiiiiiii'm sorry. You have to have an account here."
(Eyebrows raised, thinking this individual is not really doing a great job selling me on becoming a local bank member.)
"Do you have any suggestions as to where I can get denominations of 5's and 10's for 20's if a BANK can't do it for me?"
Thinking she might at least suggest a local grocer, she responded with the same odd facial expression: "No, I'm sorry. I don't have any idea where you can do that. You have to be a member here for us to do that." (At this point I was contracting, so I smiled, said "Have a nice day," and went home.)
2) Conversation with the pharmacy. Background: I have been trying to get my insulin prescription refilled for over a week. With pregnancy, the insulin requirements go up. Apparently the chart at the doctor's office has not been updated in four and a half months in this respect, because they had no record of my current insulin dosing. I called and visited our pharmacy four times yesterday knowing that they would be closed over the weekend. I also needed a prescription filled for the medication I'm taking to manage my contractions. This is how the first conversation of the day went.
"Good morning. I saw my provider last night, and she faxed over some prescriptions for me. I need to know if they're ready for pickup."
"What's the name?" (Name given.) "We don't have any record of those prescriptions being sent to us. Hang on." (Long pause, and then an actual pharmacist gets on the phone.) "Hi. We have your prescriptions, but they won't be ready for pickup yet."
"When would be a good time to come get them?"
"I would say about another 4-5 hours." (HOURS??????!! I'm thinking.)
"Ummm....here's the situation. I'm taking one of those for preterm labor. My dose from last night is wearing off. I need to at least get that one sooner than four hours."
"It'll be ready in 20 minutes."
(The insulin fiasco still has not been sorted out between the diabetes office, the doctor's office, the pharmacy, and the insurance office, which will be closed until Tuesday.)
Oh well. At least I was able to get what I need to survive the weekend.
Again, dear blog readers, Merry Christmas to you all!
Saturday, December 24, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment