Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thoughts

So yesterday Mike and I went to an information session regarding abdominal surgeries. It was three hours long, and you could tell the guy running the show was a surgeon because he allowed for a TOTAL of 15 minutes worth of breaks during his lecture of three hours.

That aside, though, Mike and I both learned a lot about the Lab Band and gastric bypass procedures. There were things about it (pros and cons) that I didn't know from a nursing/medical prospective. The presenter had some very enlightening statistics on weight problems and mortality/morbidity rates among people who do eventually end up having surgery and those who don't. I thought it was going to be a sales pitch for surgery, but he didn't really push that issue. He presented the medical reasons for why obesity happens, why diets don't always work for people with weight problems, etc.

While we aren't for sure considering the procedure yet (the meeting was merely an information seminar about what types of surgeries are out there, how they're performed, and what the risks are), I feel a lot better about the idea should my sweetie decide to do that in the long run.

So after we left the three hour session absolutely starving (it was around 8:30ish when we got out), we decided to have a date night, so we went to one of our favorite local Chinese places. I like it because you have the option of ordering a dish with lots of meat and vegetables, and you can choose to have as little rice as you want (or as much as you want if you really like a lot of rice). I had to laugh when we left because of the fortune cookies.

I can't seem to find the ones I had, but the one Mike had said: "You shouldn't overspend at the moment. Frugality is important." At that time, the waiter was at the table wrapping up our food, so Mike made a joke about how we shouldn't order dessert. The waiter thought it was absolutely hilarious and went off chuckling to the kitchen.

Right now our place smells good. I just threw a batch of brownies into the stove for a friend, and I have an apple candle burning so the two things smell really good together. Yay! I like nice smells.

No comments: