Thursday, February 7, 2008

Ups and Downs

Before my recap, I just want to throw in my two cents about the political scene. For as much as I don't want Obama in office, I REALLY don't want another four years of the Billaries. They were bad enough the first time around.

Here's a recap of my week starting with last week Wednesday.

Night one: delivery of a term female infant. The mom (incredibly sweet and a wonderful patient, but that aside...) decided that she didn't need any prenatal care because it was better to do things "naturally." Naturally including marijuana; hey after all, aren't some drugs natural for the human body? The baby ended up being intubated at delivery for zero respiratory effort, and off to NICU she went.

Night two: we had a lady that came in bleeding heavily, and after being rushed off to the O.R., she lost her baby.

Night three: my patient completely lost control, and while screaming out of control managed to start bleeding heavily. After trying to get the MD to come to the room with him refusing, I delivered the infant myself, bag of water and all, only to have him come in, get snippity, and cause my patient to pass out by performing stitches for her tear. No lidocaine. What a lovely man.

Night four: Not only was I doing post-partum, I was the nursery nurse. One of my post-partum babies was four pounds at delivery. By morning, still no feeds. Off to NICU she went. Blood sugars and hourly checks on another baby. As for nursery, one kiddo came out with a cord around his neck three times so tight that the midwife had to cut it off. Needless to say, I bagged him and had to call the NICU nurse to help me resuscitate.

Night five: I slept all days, and in the evening, it was off to church and off to Pendleton with one Dave Werkema, who has been something of a blessing to have around. It's great having a fellow midwesterner on our couch. And for the rest of the night, more sleep.

Night six: Slept. Watched the Bourne Supremacy and Ultimatum. Finally!! I never did get to see it in theater. In between movies, more sleep. After the movies, I slept all night. (Yes, my thyroid labs have been abnormal again.)

Night seven: On call for work and then cancelled. Yay! Highlight of the week. After sleeping all day, we went to some friends' house for dinner and for Mike to study Hebrew. Upon coming home, I proceded to fall promptly asleep. And I slept until my shift last night. Hmmmm.....

Night eight: Last night. Ugh. I did post-partum, nusery, AND labor! We were at record capacity and this morning, we had to set up spare beds in our classroom for our new post-partum patients. We called our OB docs and pediatricians in at 5:30 instead of 8:00 or 9:00 to discharge our patients; we had to call their families to come and pick them up SUPER early.

And now, for the highlights of my day. I really like the Southbeach food. Somehow, I feel like I'm accomplishing something productive, even if my cleaning doesn't get done the way I'd like on my workdays.

One of my fave chick flicks of all time (which is funny, because as a general rule, I'm not a chick flick person): While You Were Sleeping is on TV at the moment. It never ceases to make me laugh. I love Chicago!

As for the really important news, I contacted some nursing agencies this past week and had the "official" talk with my boss about quitting. She's trying to talk me into taking only an 8 week leave of absence and working 8 weeks in Chicago so that I can come back to work at Palomar without losing any benefits or seniority. Alas. I really don't feel like coming back to work there EVER. But, the other bit of good news is that I have more or less 16 weeks left, which sounds like a lot, but it's a concrete number with a light at the end of my tunnel. Plus, I'm using my vacation time between now and then, which brings those weeks down to 13. So there is some good news with all of the bah-humbugs. Yay!

Below is the first quilt block that I finished. One down; 24 to go! It looks pretty scrappy now, but some of those colors run throughout the quilt, so it'll tie itself together I think. I have to admit I'm a little nervous about doing a scrap quilt.


No comments: