Monday, February 18, 2008

Personal Faves

I had an AWESOME last two nights at work!!!! In that light, and due to having a night off, watching a CSI Miami marathon all day, and realizing that I haven't eaten much since I've been home, (after all: this is close to my version of 3:47 a.m.,) I have decided to disclose a few of my favorite things. Just in case a dog bites, or when a bee stings. Or, if you're feeling sad.

1) Penzey's Spices. See their website at http://www.penzeys.com/ for more detail. I had previously gone to their store in Oak Park since it was mere blocks from where I lived, but now that I live in CA, I have to say: I'd almost be willing to drive to L.A. to get more (3-4 hours in traffic?). Instead, I ordered online. The only disadvantage to an online order is knowing HOW MUCH to order, I didn't realize that 4 oz. of spices is a HUGE bag--it's like going to Sam's Club or Costco for a ginormous bottle of spices, except that Penzey's has exceptional quality. The herbs arrive very fresh, very green. Mike and I ordered some of their dressing bases; the Green Goddess base is especially good on baked chicken, etc. Yummy! Check them out. And check out their Southwest Seasoning and Ozark Seasoning (especially on corn and green beans). They are comparable in price to other top quality spice/herb providers, BUT their products (I have to say) are every bit as good or better. In short, in my humble opinion, their products are the best value for the price.

2) Local antique stores. I could spend hours there!! Some of my fave antiques? I can't seem to get enough of old dishes. My deepest and most silly wish for an antique product? An antique pump organ. Some of this stems from my grandparents. I grew up playing theirs, and thier organ was an exceptional piece in very good condition. Last but no least, wooden furniture and pieces. My old phone that I got from some guy in the Wheaton Towers is a prime example. Does anyone have any suggestions on preservation of wood products? I'm applying Murphy's wood soaps and oils. Is there anything else that anyone can recommend to help prevent further damage to wood? Our old wall phone was damaged last August when temperatures in our unit reached 120+ degrees with the fans that were drying the carpets.

3) Law & Order. I love the show, what can I say? It's fun looking for curio roles of actors/actresses that I know. And it takes me back to the days when my old roomie Anne and I used to eat popcorn and watch movies (or old Muppet Show DVD's).

4) CSI Miami. Seriously. I had considered in nursing school switching my degree long before I heard of (or watched) CSI or Law&Order. The only problem is that you almost need a master's degree for forensics. If I could have done anything differently from nursing, it would have been forensic science. I think Bolistics would be my fave. I don't know that I could stomach autopsies or biology, although I LOVE biology. I just wouldn't be able to stand the smells. An old friend about five or six years ago said that forensics "would appeal to my sense of justice." I think he's right. Nursing is still a good option, though! It was obviously meant to be since it pays the bills for Mike's schooling. :o)

5) Vintage fabrics. Anyone have any recommendations of their favorite yarn or fabric shops?

6) Orfila Vineyards. For as much as I look forward to eventually moving back to the midwest, I love the vineyards out here. Orfila (honestly!) has the best Viognier, Tawny Port, and Zinfandel. I love the port, but having won a first-place ribbon last year in Bordeaux France, their Viognier was the best.

7) Sleep.

8) Sunlight. For those of you who don't work the night shift, take a moment to enjoy the sunlight of the day and give thanks that you can work normal hours with normal benefits with bank holidays, etc. Even though I haven't slept a wink today, I can't tell you how tempted I am to dawn my swimwear (scary thought! I think it's 3-4 years old?) and sunblock and fall asleep in the sunshine.

9) Geico ads. My personal favorite is the Joan Rivers ad. And having had personal experience with a Geico claims representative and State Farm rep this week, I like them both.

10) Sushi!!! My sweet hubby bought me some for Valentine's Day, even though I had to work.

11) Tulips. They're so simple, yet elegant. (Not to mention Dutch?)

12) Solid financial textbooks regarding savings and how-to-invest-for-dummies books. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I hope you dear bloggers are all doing well! As for me, now that I've been up all day, it's time for some sleep.

1 comment:

G4and2Cats said...

I LOVED my Penzies Spice set that you gave me for a thank you gift for your Bridal Shower - I used them up long ago! The Bavarian was one of my favorites. I feel sad for people that don't know how to cook with spices!!!