Despite having frustrating nights here and there, every now and then there are nights that make me glad that I do what I do for a living. This past week, I was suprised by my boss giving me an orientee (a new grad no less!) for labor and delivery. I'm a little nervous about teaching someone so new, but the last couple of nights have been good. It's been good for me to go back to the old nursing text books and hospital policies; in trying to ingraine her with good nursing rationale, I've been able to brush up on things that I haven't seen or done in a while.
Two nights ago, we had a wonderful patient who, immediately after the baby was born, grabbed my arm and hugged my hand to her face. She was so sweet and even-keel; even after her baby had to go to NICU for a seizure disorder, she maintained her poise and composure. I got to take care of her again last night. There are patients that we take care of and enjoy their company and assist them through this special time in their lives, and then there are the ones that as a nurse that you bend over backwards and then some to help because they're the kind of person that you wish you could be if you were ever in those shoes. My patients last night were all of that calliber, and it's a privilege to take care of people like that. Thank the Lord for good days.
Wednesday, April 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Aw gee.....
Post a Comment