Monday, April 7, 2008

Old Nasties

My coworkers and I were talking last night about our loved ones have a hard time parting with certain stuff: old ratty holey t-shirts, (or THE t-shirt), the old worn-out chair or couch; the car that keeps breaking down; the stuff in the garage that doesn't work. Electronics that we might just use again. The near-empty athroom products, lotions, and potions that overfill the cabinets because "we" might be in the mood to use them someday. (You know who you are!) :o)

On that subject, I got a brand new pair of Mizuno tennis shoes last week and I love them. Is it possible to love a new pair of shoes? They fit my narrow feet and cushion my high arches. No other sporting shoe compares for work or recreation. (I will be done waxing verbose about my love of my new shoes.) But, really...I really, really, REALLY do like these shoes.

I have to premise the following paragraph by saying that as a general rule, I don't like old, ratty, nasty things that look like they've been through a war. I have no problem finding a new home for those things, whether it be Salvation Army (when it's not in too bad of shape) or the dumpster.

All of that being said, the problem is that my old (and I mean OLD!) Mizunos now occupy a spot on my shoe rack by the door. I didn't think it would be so hard to part with them! I mean, those shoes have been with me on runs through rain, snow, sleet, and more snow. They have been through the country side of Surrey County and London. They have seen several miles of trails on the Prairie Path with my good friend and former roomie. They have seen me through two hospitals and a clinic. They got me through nursing school. Aw, gee. I was hoping the new shoes would make it a tad easier to part with the old, but alas. I haven't the heart to get rid of them yet. They're still perfectly comfortable and don't have that "warm cheese" smell that some of us have had to endure from other people. :o) And they have so many memories....(Is there a song to go with all this?) Seriously, though. How do I get up the guts to throw them away? Or should I justify keeping them by making them my "outdoor" or "garden" tennis shoes?

3 comments:

Gospel.or.Death said...

Sweetie, this is one burden I'd be happy to carry for you, all the way to the trash.

Ghee

Night Nurse said...

Aw, gee, Ghee. Well, maybe in a month or two you can do that (maybe hide them for a while first) so that I get used ot the idea of them being gone...I won't be upset if you eventually throw them away....

G4and2Cats said...

You can never have enough shoes... as old and nasty as they may be!