Sunday, August 3, 2008

Dutchdom Days

Last weekend, Mike and I went with his parents to the Dutch Festival (Holland Days) in Cedar Grove, WI. Having grown up Dutch, I didn't ever think Dutch traditions were cool in any particular way, but this little town seems to have captured some of the essence of Dutchness. They have a parade, and for the last 62 years before the parades began, the town mayor would state that the streets were not fit for the parade. This meant that all sorts of Dutch folks (or anyone wanting to wear Dutch costumes, really) would get out Ajax and Old Dutch cleaning agents and would wash the streets before the parade could begin. The town mayor would then go declare the streets clean enough for the parade.

I managed to pick up a pair of hand-carved wooden shoes in my own size! The man making them is one of the last authentic klompen-makers in the States (having learned from the masters in Holland traditions). I hear they make great shoes for shlepping around in the yard while gardening, etc. I think I need to stain them or treat them first, though. Below are the photos of our adventures. (For some reason, I couldn't get them to upload in any particular order.)

The "token male" waves to Mom.


The dancing commences


The Enthusiastic Parade-Goers



The New Klompen


Jane and me at the Cedar Grove beach (Yes, the local towns pooled together for beach-front property off of lake Michigan)


The town mayor (and assistant??) declaring the streets clean enough for the parade


Hauling of the water (never let it be said that the Dutch don't do anything with flair)


The scrubbing of the streets of Cedar Grove


Boredom?


The Dutch Dancers preparing to line up by age groups for the performances before the parade

No comments: