Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Movies

So, dear blog readers, I confess that with Mike's surgery coming tomorrow, I relented and agreed to see GI Joes in theater. Not that I don't mind a good action film, mind you. It's just that when paying $22 to see a movie, there are a few things I'd like to have happen.

1) You know those little ads they play at the beginning of the film? The ones that talk about turning off your phone? I think people who go to action films like to defy those ads. There was a girl who talked on her phone periodically through the whole movie. Is it me, or do you wish that they had someone to stand watch in the theaters and throw those people out? It might cause a disruption, but hey: you're already being disrupted anyway. Or better yet, if you're really clever and believe in vigilante justice, it would be nice to devise some spit wads with those giant straws they have and sneak up the stairs to nail the perpetrators. It's the little things.

2) Avoid people who have those little red or green laser lights. It gets really old after the first two seconds. Does anyone else want to sneak an actual flashlight into the theater and shine it in the face of the guy trying to impress a bunch of mindless chicks?

3) I think in order to enjoy a movie without the crowd problems, artsy movies are probably the way to go. I can't see a bunch of artsy folk pointing laser lights at the screen or using their phones, because they're there for the experience as much as I am.

I promise I'm not really all that bitter and jaded about the situation. In the future, however, I'm thinking about home rental vs. theater experience. True, the downside is a smaller screen, less noisy effects, and my popcorn may not be as good. (Especially with my pension for burning it.) The upside is that I can pause it to go to the bathroom without missing anything, I can wear my pajamas, and I don't have someone yapping on their phone through the whole movie. My house doesn't attract punk teen guys with flaky girlfriends who goof off the whole time. And best of all, we can see four or five movies for the price of two movie tickets. (Or, if I go to the library or the dollar rental at Vons, I can watch 22 movies!) My hearing is still intact when I leave the room.

All Dutchness over wasted money at the movies aside, the home theater seems a great way to go.

1 comment:

Gospel.or.Death said...

You have to HAVE a home theater before you can GO to the home theater.