Friday, August 28, 2009

Impulsive Maneuvers

Well, dear blog readers, I don't know if any of you have this sort of shopping experience, but this is the typical way my shopping expeditions usually get blown in one store before I even make it to the clothing section. Two words: Williams Sonoma. (Or three words: Sur La Table. Or Crate and Barrel.) The bane of my budgeting existence!

As background, last night I went with Mike to his first post-op support group. It turns out that he only needs to eat 1/4 cup of food 4-5 times/day. The other members of the group suggested getting some small food prep bowls and infant silverware to guage how much he should be eating. After the class, we decided to make a run down to San Diego to see what we could find. (Besides, it's always nice when the hubs likes to take the wife shopping. Who can argue with that?)

Needless to say, once we hit Williams Sonoma, we didn't make it out again until the other stores were already closing for night. Not only did we find prep bowls, but we came out with a food mill (perfect for pureeing food for my poor sweetie), two single-serving cast iron pans (good for using on the grill!), and a new cookbook on eating healthy with simple ingredients. This I "had" to have for some variety to my eggs-for-breakfast and salad-for-lunch routine now that my insulin seems to be normalizing. All justifyable purchases, and we're already getting use of out of them.

Alas, now that I saw my paycheck for about five minutes yesterday, I realize that it's nice to have budgeted extra "miscellaneous spending" funds for nights like those sorts of spontaneous nights of a few unplanned purchases.

1 comment:

Gospel.or.Death said...

But sweetie, just think how cheap it'll be next time we go out to eat! "ummm, can I order from the kids' menu please?"