Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Space Cadetness, Menservants, and Other Blog Musings

Hello again, dear blog readers! I was looking back through my blog history and realized I hadn't posted as many Little Buddy updates as I thought I did. Here are some "new" developments over the last four weeks.

1) The little fella weighed 5 lb 9 oz at his pediatrician's appointment last week. She told me that he should be gaining about an ounce a day--that's a pretty significant percentage of body weight considering he weighed 4-11 at birth, but he seems to be holding his own and loves to eat! My favorite thing about the feedings is that he has a very excited facial expression that he likes to use when he's awake and hungry--he almost smiles before feeding time.

2) He inadvertently has figured out (or naturally does on his own) how to make spitty raspberry noises when there is something going on that he doesn't like. For example, when I lay him down on the changing table, he spits. When he's sleepy and I change his position, he spits. Also, when he gets really excited, the little arms start going in a Mr. Miagi "wax on, wax off" pattern. Pretty amusing. (It's not noticeable that I'm a first-time parent, is it?)  :o)

3) Somewhere along the line after the delivery, and for whatever reason, I seem to have developed an allergy to seafood. The first time it flared up in a head-to-toe red rash after eating shellfish at a local Italian restaurant, which resulted being on prednisone and benadryl for 5 days. (Talk about sleepy.) Since I wasn't sure what had caused the rash, I have stayed away from shellfish. After that, I tried halibut and salmon, and had the same result to a lesser extent--rash for four days and benadryl for another four days. This makes me sad because I really like seafood, and have never before encountered food allergies. I am hoping it's related to all of the hormonal changes, but since the rash usually lasts 4-5 days, I'm not to eager to try eating it again any time soon. Hello, Angus steaks!

Speaking of sleepy, though, I just have to brag about my spouse a little bit for those of you who have never met the man. So, having just announced that I've been on round-the-clock benadryl for about a week and a half, plus four weeks of getting about 4-5 hours of sleep at best every night, I've been crashing and burning these last two days. Little Buddy has been going through a growth spurt and waking up about every hour to 1.5 hours. I have awakened the last two afternoons at 1:00, only to find that Mike went to the store and filled/organized the fridge. He also took care of the morning feedings and spittings, and then put the baby back to sleep so that I could sleep more soundly. (Unfortunately the only thing he couldn't take care of is the need for pumping.) He went to the bank and took care of errands that I have been meaning to run and haven't gotten around to it yet. He went to Border's and bought a couple of replacement parenting books that I seem to have misplaced in the move. What a great guy! And he's so good with the baby. And he's done the dishes a number of nights this week without me asking, and he takes out the trash, AND he empties the diaper genie! What a guy. I don't know that my house would be in any kind of semblance of order this week without him. Plus, he doesn't complain when I'm in my pajamas until mid-afternoon since the feeding-pumping sequence takes about an hour and a half every 2-3 hours. It's great having a man-servant!  :o)  (Really, though, it's great to be married to someone who has such a servant's heart toward his spouse. Most guys would complain.)

On another topic, I've often heard about "placenta brain" or "post-partum brain" or whatever people choose to call it. Basically, I find that my mind and memory have taken a hiatus most of the time, and I forget things a little too easily. I've noticed that we have just about everything we need for the baby, but the other day I was getting ready to go to a doctor's appointment and realized we do not have a diaper bag. Whoops! Space cadet has struck again. Maybe Mike can be talked into running to K-Mart. (Actually, now that my short-term brain thinks about it, he has already offered but wants my opinion as to what kind of bag to get.)

Well, dear blog readers, time to close out these ramblings. Time to sip some more Portland Blend coffee, courtesy of a wonderful lady who gave me some at the baby shower. I don't know how I'd get through this week without gourmet coffee and French Press! Happy Wednesday to you all, dear blog readers!

No comments: