Saturday, August 28, 2010

Here a poo, there a poo...

Okay, dear blog readers, here's that almost-forgotten-about story I was going to post after my last blog event. Let me start out by saying I LOVE being a mom and have thoroughly enjoyed my (rather sleepless) maternity leave.

On a less glamorous "mom" note, let me point your attention to the song "Old McDonald." Instead of a quack-quack here, and a quack-quack there, our adventures have been a poo-poo here, a poo-poo there, every where some poo, poo.....

Our blow-outs were pretty minimal after we came home from the hospital. We went for two solid weeks after discharge from Sacred Heart with no accidents.

Then, on our inaugural outing to a picnic/river party, we had a real doozy. It was about 98 degrees outside that day, and even though I kept the baby inside for a good part of that time, it was still pretty beastly in the car. Note to those of you who may think about having children: NEVER put an infant in a onesie in a car seat without a blanket or some sort of protection under their little bum! It's a rather volatile piece of equipment, you see. We were literally a minute away from home when there was a rumble from the back seat. Upon further assessment, not only had the little guy pooped, but it was ALL OVER the bottom of the seat, the straps, the baby, his clothes, etc. Even better, it had managed to ooze its way down INTO the seat in the strap holes. In fact, it made it all the way through the entire seat via the straps and onto the base. Needless to say, we spent two hours trying to figure out how to take the seat apart in order to wash the straps and seat casing. Oi!

Then the feeding blow-outs started. Poor boppy had to be washed a couple of times, despite putting receiving blankets down on top of it.

Then my t-shirts while holding baby became prone to victimization.

Last but not least, I gave the babe a bath last night, and lo! When I fished him out of his little tub, there was a disseminated present in the bottom! Fortunately it happened while he was on his way out of the tub, so he required very little further cleanup. The tub, however, needed to be cleaned out.

What's funny is that while working in the NICU, I don't recall having such messy incidents!! Was it the type of diapers that we used? Are Pampers really that much better than Huggies? Or is there really that much less breast milk going around?

Oh well.

On that note, dear blog readers, I got a whopping 1.5 hours of sleep last night, and several short cat-naps today. Time for biddy-bye. The hubby has been taking up the 1:00 am feedings for me, which has been awesome.

'Til next time, dear blog readers!

5 comments:

SunnySusan said...

I so remember those times...but wait it gets better....teething time...haha...master blastos.....

The San Diego Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The San Diego Family said...

I do recall those days, and yes, especially with my firstborn. I put 2 and 2 together real quick. It was the amount of breastmilk they are ingesting, but also my lack of really good diapering skills. I found that I was leaving the diapers a little too loose around the legs, and my husband was especially! So Here is what I did- I learned to put the diaper straps tighter than the average joe. Even so much that I had to cross one over to the other side, and 1/2 inch below cross over the other strap across the abdomen, taking much care to tuck the front right and left sides of the diaper around towards the back to make a seal around the legs once attached properly. (geez, does this make sense?>?>)then, I would check around each leg making sure there was a good seal around the elasic part and the leg. But, of course there is nothing you can do when they blast travels up the back of the diaper and up to their shoulders- (that has happened too of course) :)

April said...

I was lucky in that I never experienced a major blowout with Blake on where it went everywhere. I wonder if Cameron is just too little for the diapers he is wearing? I remember having much more leakage problems with Blake in the beginning cuz he didn't quite fill out the diapers. Making sure its on super tight helps a bit. I actually prefer Huggies to Pampers and had leakage problems with the Target brand diapers. Those are the only 3 brands I have tried. Hopefully his poop power will improve soon!

Mim said...

I agree with the comments about making sure the diapers are tight. Other than that, about all you can do is take lots of precautions and remember that he will get older soon. As the babies digestive system matures, you will have less problems too -- you don't quite as much mess. Now doesn't it seem ridiculous that some people say you don't have to bathe a baby more often than every 4 or 5 days?? Who are they kidding?