Sunday, February 19, 2012

News Flash

Hello, dear blog readers. Well, after SEVERAL days of writing blog drafts and then deleting them because they seemed mundane, I have decided to update you all on our seemingly topsy-turvy lives. The good news is that I'm still pregnant. The bad news is that within the next few weeks, I'm going to have to do battle with HR over whether or not I will have insurance after this baby is born. (I may need to take out COBRA. Again. Apparently, FMLA/OFLA only allow up to 12 weeks of benefitted leave prior to a baby being born.) So, there's that. We're taking it one day at a time and praying, more than anything else, for a healthy baby, regardless of the financial situation we battle.

Secondly, our little boy's vocabulary is rapidly expanding. He's in the phase of adding a "y" sound to the end of words, and also likes to drop the first hard consonant on certain words. You can see how this is problematic for words like "glasses." He also went from being the kid who would eat anything we put in his mouth to eating almost nothing that isn't COMPLETELY mushy. He spits out anything that has any kind of texture. This has made for some very creative "baby food" meal times for us as we try to puree home-cooked food vs. going back to jarred baby food completely. I'm not sure if this is related somehow to the several months of colic and vomiting that he has a a newborn, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone else has had this problem!

Thirdly (and probably most importantly), given the fact that I've been on medical leave for the last nine weeks, Hubby was able to procure a part-time position at a local manufacturing factory. While it's not a long-term fix, it helps to pay the bills for the time being.

That said, he has decided it's time to pursue a different career track altogether. It's tough being a fairly new grad in an economically-depressed time, and since there aren't a lot of open pulpits or church plants happening right now, he's looking at getting back into doing intelligence analysis. We're not sure where the Lord will lead in the next several months, but one thing is for sure: there is NO routine in this household. It's been good for us in a lot of ways to learn true, complete, and utter dependance upon the Lord's provision for us. That said, it will also be nice if (or rather, WHEN) he is able to obtain gainful employment that will cover the bills and make us feel a little less like wandering nomads, not sure of where we should go or what we should do with our lives.

So, dear blog readers, that is our newest news. I hope you all had a blessed Lord's Day.

2 comments:

Jane in TX said...

I am thinking of & praying for you, the baby, Mike (and his need for solid employment), & Toodler. So grateful you are still pregnant. I will add prayers for continued insurance coverage after your little one is born.

Jane in TX said...

I am thinking of & praying for you, the baby, Mike (and his need for solid employment), & Toodler. So grateful you are still pregnant. I will add prayers for continued insurance coverage after your little one is born.