Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Want Much?

Hello, dear blog readers. Today I was pondering Psalm 23, particularly the first line: "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want." I am no resident Hebrew scholar. (My personal Hebrew guy was working at stacking cinder blocks and stuffing insulation--way to go, working guy!) I thought about this a lot, and wish I knew what that particular line means (or the translation) for its original audience.

I guess what I'm getting at is this: so often in our culture, we have the popular "theologians" of the day telling us that if we just work hard enough or pray enough that we will have all of the comfort and good stuff this life can offer. After all, that is how our culture sees blessings. We as Christians know that this is contrary to what Christ tells us: we WILL suffer. What does it mean, then, to "shall not want?"

I guess the reason why I've been thinking about this lately is that, as many of you now know, I haven't been drawing much of my usual income; Hubby has been struggling with not getting a job in his field right away (and let's face it: unemployment for a lot of men is just plain tough on the psyche); I've been contracting for at least seven weeks now, etc., etc. I could keep listing the hardships of life, but that's not really my point.

What I HAVE discovered through these times is that the Lord really does hear our cries for help, and cries for peace of heart. He provided a part-time factory job for Hubby that involves very hard manual labor, but it pays the student loans and is a provision we didn't have before. He's had the opportunity to learn about computer-related searches and earn some computer-related odd jobs/income from time to time through a friend. He's been preaching from time to time, which grants him more ministerial experience. The new job gets him out of the house, which might not seem like it's "good for the soul," but I believe it is.

Also, the Lord has kept Baby A. in place for seven weeks (and counting) beyond the initial preterm labor scare, and since that time, the contractions (while getting stronger in some cases) are far less regular than they were before. She is growing well and appears to be healthy. Through various support of friends, we've been both humbled and amazed by the outpouring of both financial support and gifts of meals, housekeeping, offers to babysit Toodler, etc.

Are we "wanting?" In the eyes of the world, we are not successful. We might always be small- apartment dwellers, and that's okay with us. We will never be wealthy, and our health will only give out in time. So yes: I suppose in the eyes of the world, we are wanting. Are we "wanting" in the way that really counts? Do we know and recognize that the Lord is looking out for our daily needs of us, his children? Do we have peace that he will continue to do so, even when daily challenges sometimes seem impossible? Yes. It is the peace of Christ, knowing that this world is NOT our home, knowing that the Lord shepherds and cares for us even in our times of doubt and stress, that leaves us lacking nothing. This might not be what the translation of the passage means in Hebrew, but it's the lingering thought of my mind throughout the day while taking care of Toodler and trying to maintain some semblance of order on "bedrest."

Anyway, dear blog readers, that's about as philosophical as I get. Here's hoping this Wednesday is finding you well and at peace.

2 comments:

Michael Gregga said...

According to HALOT (a Hebrew lexicon), the verb translated "to want" in most translations, means "to be devoid", usually to be devoid OF something. And to be devoid means to be lacking, or to be empty.

So the sense of the sentence is: the Lord is my Shepherd, I will not be empty, lacking, devoid.

The rest of the Psalm goes on to explain that if I am like a lamb, already implied by calling the Lord "my shepherd", then the Lord leads me to green pastures (= rich food) and in paths of righteousness. It goes on to say that though I am surrounded by enemies, the Lord sets out a feast for me, and he gives me wine so liberally that it's spilling all over. Even if I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I am not afraid because the Lord is with me.

I think the rest of the Psalm defines this word far more clearly than my lexicon. And this post is also a good explanation. You don't have to be a Hebrew scholar to understand the point of a text. You just have to ask the right questions of the text.

"Want Much?" is a great question to ask.

Carrie said...

=) Perfect timing for ME (just sitting down to read this post now - on this crazy, crazy Saturday.) We want for NOTHING and that realization dawns.

Amen to what you said. And also THANKS for the encouragement!