Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Way It Goes

Hello, dear blog readers.

I just have to tell you: there are people out there that I would like to emulate to some degree or another. For example: I am in absolute awe of women who leave the house in the morning professionally-dressed with their hair done and makeup on. I think I might have successfully pulled this off sometime in the early months of 2010 (including contact lenses, anyway). I also admire people who exercise. I routinely watch them walk/ride/run past the window while I'm chowing down on Cheez-its or other sorts of snack foods.

This, today, is how a "typical" day went for me.

Morning: the kids woke up. Actually, Toodler woke up on time. The baby didn't wake up on time because, well, she's getting more teeth and was up three times during the night, which equaled about three solid hours of sleep on-and-off for me. Not that I'm complaining, but I would just love to know how those put-together working sorts roll out of bed and still have time to do their make-up, drop off their kids, and then head to work.

Breakfast was served. I think I managed to finish my coffee and change three or four diapers AND get the kids dressed before 11:30. I aspired to be one of those walking/exercising types, but alas: the kids weren't awake at the same time, so the walk will wait until another day.

Lunch was served. I managed to brush my teeth around noon. Organizing a grocery list (with savings planned) took the rest of naptime. I managed to squeak in putting on my deodorant during the downtime as well.

Snacks were served. I brushed my hair and slapped on some mascara. Oh, and I managed to get out my pajama bottoms by 3:30.

By 3:45, it was off to the pharmacy, the bank, and the car shop. Both kids were howling away at this point since this was now the fourth afternoon this week that I needed to drag them to town. The car, alas, seems to need a fair bit of work done, and probably won't be back until Monday. At least I CAN'T get to the store with the kids tomorrow. (Can I say that I'm relieved to be home for a while this weekend?)  :)

Dinner was served. I think the baby managed to sneeze not only carrots, but also applesauce all. Over. My. Shirt. And pants. Poor little tiny human. About the time I was heading off to change, she vomited on me. Alas, she clearly was having a rough day.

The kids continued crying off and on until the executive decision was made to put them to bed 45 minutes early. Toodler promptly went right to sleep. The baby continued to cry until an extra feeding assuaged her little needs.

At this point, a hair-do and spiffy clothes were out of the question. No point in doing the hair. Since I lost a huge percentage of it after Smalls was born and now it's growing back in places and is about an inch long in the front, the hair rather looks like Witch Hazel from Buggs Bunny. The other portions of it haven't been cut in a year and a half. I think I actually managed to leave a few hairpins behind throughout the course of the day.

After bedtime, I was off to the drugstore for this week's savings. We were (nearly) out of important things that I needed to get before the weekend was out, so off I went. Of course, they were out of regular-flavored Listerine (at least the small size that was on sale) and other toiletries that I needed. I stood in line for a while, checked out my cart, and headed off down the road to the other drug store.

CLOSED five minutes before I got there.

I got home, sat down with my receipts, and wiped what little makeup had been applied out from under my eyelids. (Yes, I am in awe also of women whose makeup does not run off of their faces by the end of the day.)

While I probably won't be a well-dressed, organized, coordinated person until the kids grow out of toddlerhood, and while I aspire to be a little like "those" people someday, I have to say that I AM thankful for what little gifts and talents I DO have, and for the little ways that the Lord blesses the day. Even though there were kiddie tears here and there (and food smeared and vomited) throughout the day, we still managed to save 80% on our purchases this evening, including laundry detergent, baby bath soap/lotions, cough syrup, Bengay for the achy joints in this place, and diaper cream. It's the little victories that count, right?

And now, to conclude the day, I get to blog with YOU, dear readers. Don't sweat who you aren't. You will never be perfect. Enjoy who you are, because the Lord gave you your own gifts, talents, and abilities. Enjoy your families. This is one of the first times in a long time that I can admit to being okay with a few...Okay, several....kiddie toys on the floor, a laundry basket that needs tending, and a house that needs cleaning. My kids are clean, loved, and in bed, and right now I'm perfectly content to let everything else lie until tomorrow.

Signing off until next time, dear blog readers! Happy Friday!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Well AMEN to that (last paragraph about not sweating things, that is!) :D Thanks for that amusing post and encouragement!

Auntie Kates said...

I love this post, Pam! This is how it is going to be for the next few years. But you are blessed beyond belief, as was I. You have a beautiful family!