Saturday, January 12, 2013

House Fever

Hello, dear blog readers. I have been sitting here for the last couple of hours pouring over and contemplating pictures of houses in the area. You might say that since our lease is up in a couple of months, we are wrestling with the huge decision: to buy, or not to buy?

Because this is such a military town, there is a very high turnover of residents, including homeowners. The problem is that since my hubby also is contracted privately for the military, there will ALWAYS be rumors that the job might be ending. We will be waiting at least another year (I think) to consider purchasing seriously because by then, we will hopefully know more about job stability. Or, if you prefer, lack thereof.

I know there is a lot to be said for building equity and all that, but there is also something to be said for avoiding the risk of buying and having to sell and move away in the next two years.

I wonder what it is about homebuying that is such an emotional roller coaster ride. Is it because it is SUCH a huge financial investment? An emotional one? Is it possible that instead of looking for your "dream house" (which we can afford in this area for the first time in our lives), we should be looking for something smaller and more cosy? Would that be safer in the event of a potential move?

I've been thinking about housing because it feels to me like owning a home might keep one "grounded." (For lack of a better term, in my humble opinion.) It's difficult emotionally and mentally to contemplate moving every two years or less due to renting changes and job situations. Buying a home entails some level of comfort that your job isn't going to go away, and that you have some form of housing stability in your life.

I think as believers, we KNOW that this world isn't our home, and yet we seek in small ways to at least be comfortable in it. I don't know about you, but I would like to have a yard that I can pull plants up or put new ones in as I see fit. I would like to get things fixed without having to wait 7 months for the maintenance man to give up on us altogether before my dad comes and fixes it for us. I ponder whether or not it is materialistic to want a house at this time when we still seem to have so much uncertainty in our lives. Uncertainty for us is, rather unfortunately, become a predictable event. I realize that having the ability to buy a house is a privilege, NOT a right. Ultimately, wherever we end up living in the next couple of years, I can say that I really like this area and am perfectly content to continue renting in our current residence. As long as I'm in this place, it's one less move I have to make for now.

Anyway, dear blog readers, enough of my late-Saturday-night rantings and ramblings. I hope that you have all had a great weekend! Happy Sabbath to you all!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

For one, Martin and I lived in our cozy philly apt for nine years and loved every minute of it. While there were times we dreamed about a home of our own it just wasn't wise for the unpredictable time we were living. Once we moved to Alaska we were in a one bedroom one bath apt with the BAREST of necessities...one change of sheets, one set of bath towels, a couple plates, a few utensils, NO nic nacks or decorations, clothing from a suitcase and it was wonderful and freeing. Granted we didn't have kids at the time but still...life so simple! Once we moved into our house I was depressed that life was now so much more complicated and time consuming. I know feeling confined can get to you but enjoy it while you have it. There are so many other stresses that come with home ownership. The grass is always greener on the other side. I think home investment is a big deal because of all the $$$ that goes in and time to maintain it. Homes can make or break families. There is no rush to buy a home. It doesn't mean you don't have roots there. AND, this doesn't mean you can't house shop online, of course!! The Lord is amazing at opening doors and making his path clear when we ask his guidance!!