Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Dodging "Bullets"

So, I've learned something new at work, dear bloggers. You know how kids wipe their noses on their sleeves when they have the sniffles? The same concept applies to moms in labor when they have soiled hands. I've been pondering this past week how no matter how hard I may try to avoid getting "slimed," I have to be careful to dodge mom's "wipes" when they are looking to clean off a hand or two. For example, I caught my cold last week when my patient who was sick kept attempting to grab me during labor. She also had the habit of wiping her nose when it ran, and would then re-attempt to grab me. Another fine example is when moms reach down to touch their babies when the head crown, and then they look to smear the "goo" on nearby cloth. A nurse makes a much better wipee than the bedsheet! Oh well. Life and birth go on, and some how I trust my immunity will survive despite all the germs.

3 comments:

G4and2Cats said...

That's sick - I'll have you know not all Moms in labor would do that! I'd never think of wiping my hands on a person! Ugh!

Anonymous said...

Yuck!

Who ARE these people?!

Just tell 'em to wipe it on the sheets and you'll change the bed later! Oh man!

Anonymous said...

Uh, I agree with the peanuts and pumpkins & ghee comments. What ignorant people!! And I'm thinking you need to get a plastic apron or something that you can change after one of the slimers gets you. Poor Pam!