Friday, March 14, 2008

Pleasant Surprises

Hello, dear bloggers! So on Monday, I had a 15-year-old patient who surprised her parents when she went into preterm labor. (Apparently she had hid the baby pretty well for about 8 months.) I suspect she went into labor because she was sick and dehydrated. She came in coughing all over and during labor, I found her periodically wiping her hands under her nose and then wiping them on my scrubs. Yum. So now, despite all of my efforts at keeping up my immunity, I have a cold!

But, life could be a lot worse! My poor hubby saw my exhaustion and malaise after work yesterday and sent me to bed. He also proceded to load up the dishes without me asking and clean up the kitchen! What a guy. I also had a fabulous adjustment with a massage at the chiropractor's office, and then I met my friend Nicole for coffee. She and I met a wedding last August when Mike and her fiance were both in the wedding party, and we hit it off really well. Her fiance is overseas with the military right now, so we've been having some studying/"girl time" coffee breaks. She is working on studying for her GMAT exam, and I'm working on reviewing some of my nursing material. It's been nice to be able to get out of the house here and there!

On that note, I was also suprised this last week when my boss approached me about orienting a new grad to labor. I feel a little inadequate since there's still a lot that I don't know (or don't remember), but I think it will be good for me.

Well, dear bloggers, time to go drink some more tea. Does anyone have any suggestions for wonder meds regarding cold symptoms? I initially took Airborne and Coldeeze to try to shorten the overall cold invasion, but I think I may have started that process a little too late. I tried Tylenol Sinus and the Walgreens version of something that I think is like Sudafed, but since it's not working too well, I'm open to any other suggestions that any of you may have. I'm even trying the whole breathing warm steam thing to prevent getting a sinus infection. I've never had one, but for those of you who battle them regularly, I trust your judgment when it comes to recommending medication for cold meds.

Ok. Now it really IS time for my tea!

No comments: