Hello, dear blog readers! This is day two of the insulin pump experience. Let me just tell you: if any of you ever have to go on the insulin pump, it is AWESOME! Of course, it needs some tweaking in the first few days/weeks to get the insulin doses just right, but it takes all of the "guess work" out of how much insulin you need. For example: the pump takes your average insulin to carb ratio (the pump company rep figures this initial math out: how much insulin you have to take to lower a certain number of carbs). Next, it takes your basal (continuous rate), it takes your blood sugar, and with all of those figures, it tells you how much insulin you need to take with meals and snacks. If your blood sugar is running low, it'll tell you how to decrease your insulin bolus. If it is high, it tells you how much extra you need to take if you want to take extra. You can also program in an "alternative" basal rate and plan if you know you're going to be exercising a lot or if you have a different schedule on a regular basis. For example, I don't normally wake up on my days off at 5:00 in the morning like I do for work, so I can tweak those plans a little if I need to. Also, if I know I'm going to be exercising, I can tell the pump to decrease my insulin by whatever percentage so that I don't bottom out.
Neat, huh?
Speaking of neat, we had our 3-D ultrasound pictures done on Monday. (The perks of going to a perinatologist for diabetes!) Here is one of my faves of little Cameron. We weren't able to get one of the front of his face due to his face being plastered up against one side of the uterine wall, but the profile is pretty neat. And yes, he is still holding his "philosopher" pose with his arm under his chin. :o)
Saturday, April 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
how neat is the pump and the pictures of Cameron! I wish I had done the 3d pics with my boys. It is so neat to see them.
Post a Comment