Saturday, March 20, 2010

Downside of Working

Hello again, dear blog readers! There are times when being a nurse has GREAT advantages: you can work nights if you need to be home during the day with your kids (I don't know how you moms do it but I know it works for you), you can work a full week in three shifts and have four days off; you can plan vacation for a week if you plan those three shifts/week just right (and don't get flexed). Most of the time you can find people to trade with you if you need to have a day off to go to the doctor's office, etc. All in all, I really like being a nurse.

The downside, and I'm sure this is true of several other jobs, is that I can't just pack up and fly and visit ailing family members any time I choose. I think this would be difficult for stay-at-home moms and the unemployed as well, but for different reasons perhaps. Right now, for instance, I just wish I could spend a couple more weeks in Chicago for moral support for loved ones who are sick and stressed out. It's hard living way out here in the boonies and they're way over there in the midwest.

Ah, well. That's life! I love watching babies get better and go home. It's really rewarding, and I don't know that I'd trade it if I could.

Speaking of jobs, I'm still waiting to hear from Oregon. Applications have been made, but no responses have been received yet. This is making me a little nervous, but if we have to wait around California until September (after the baby is born), then so be it.

Happy CA sunshine to you all, dear blog readers, whether you be in Illinois, Montana, or Georgia!

3 comments:

Michael Gregga said...

Well, if we do have to wait around, I guess I'll be getting licensed here after all.

The San Diego Family said...

now you need to find some baby boy expecting backgrounds!!! :)

April said...

We wish you were still here too! You came and went in the blink of an eye and we didn't even get to say bye. We love you and our little nephew too. ;)