Friday, March 19, 2010

You Learn New Things Every Day

Well, dear blog readers, I just discovered that if I try to change my background etc. on my blog page, and if I recheck the look on a different computer, the colors might be totally off. I might have to look at it at a different computer at home later.

The other thing I didn't know is just how far my hard-earned tax dollar extends. For example, this week I have a patient who is from Sai Pan. (Saipan? I'm unsure of the spelling.) Did you know, readers, according to our transport team who has to go pick up babies from all over the pacific ocean, that since we did a lot of nuclear testing on different islands in the Pacific, that we do a lot of ruling out of genetic problems due to our history of testing? Okay, so that sentance sounds convoluded. Basically, here's what happens.

A baby is born. There is CLEARLY something wrong. It might be just a basic chromosomal disorder (i.e. the trisomy disorders, like trisomy 21, which is Down's Syndrome). It might be some other syndrome. BUT, if the doctors on those islands are not able to figure out what is wrong, our tax dollars get those babies sent here to the U.S. to reside in our NICU until we can figure out what's going on. I guess there has been such a history of genetic mutations over the years due to past nuclear testing that now we're paying for it, literally. Whether the kid actually IS a product of mom and/or dad being a genetic carrier of those past run-ins with our military is beside the point. They look funny? Hello baby; good-bye taxes! I never realized this. And perhaps it's limited to certain islands in the Pacific. I'll have to do more homework, but since our transport team picks these kids up on a regular basis, I figure they would know something about how the U.S. picks up the tab.

Anyway, time for lunch.

3 comments:

The San Diego Family said...

hmmmm, news to me too!

Michael Gregga said...

Counterpoint: from their perspective, their children have been picking up the tab for our desire to be a nuclear superpower.

April said...

Veeery interesting!