Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Farewell, Dear Friend.

Dear blog readers,
This post is dedicated to my former roommate and dear friend Anne. We shared and apartment in Wheaton Towers (Chicagoland area) for a few years before we were both married to our respective spouses.

If I have one regret, it's that when I last saw her a couple of weeks ago, I didn't have the guts to tell her just how much her friendship has meant to me. I hope she knew. She was one of those few "solid as a rock" folks that come along in life and no matter what chaos was happening in mine, she always helped me make sense of it. When I lost my job, she took me out on the town and to a great Mexican restaurant. When she knew I wasn't invited to certain social events, she would skip those events and we would watch re-runs of "The Muppet Show" (the old classics) while eating something delectable that she had made for dinner and/or snacks. I can't think of a single solitary time that she ever got mad at me when we lived under the same roof. She paid for a good share of a "roommate road trip" that we had planned since I had lost my job a couple of days before the trip, and that trip will go down as one of the greatest and most fun of my life. She helped me think through things when I was trying to decide whether or not I should have feelings for the man who is now my amazing spouse.

All in all, her friendship and life were a gift to me. I'm so thankful for the time that we shared together, and I am also thankful (especially in light of this weekend being Easter and all) of the gift of the Resurrection, and that thanks to Christ, I will see her again someday--and there will be no cancer, no shortness of breath, no pain, no fatigue.

Good-bye for now, dear friend. Your examples of friendship, love, and selflessness are ones that I will treasure always.


Anne in the fro on the far right



1 comment:

April said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear friend, Anne. I am sure she knew how much you valued the friendship. Praying for comfort for you and for her family.