Saturday, May 8, 2010

Growing Pains

Well, dear blog readers, I have to say that it's pretty sad when a L&D RN doesn't know whether or not she's having contractions or growing pains. The nurse in me keeps checking the old belly to make sure it is soft, but I woke up a number of times in the night last night due to lower abdominal pain. I'm also thinking it's just a cramp due to most of the pain being on one side. I thought the baby might have been moving/pushing against some of those ligaments.

Then, on the way to work this morning, I was feeling cramps regularly 5-10 minutes apart--fortunately they went away when I got to work and hydrated some more. Not a good feeling, though, especially looking at some of the preemies in here. I'd like to not have it be Cameron! Poor little fella. Does anyone have experience with pre-term labor from a subjective standpoint that can tell me that I worry too much? Or should I be more concerned? I guess if this continues off and on today, I might go see the OB on call tonight just to put my mind at ease and I'll call in tomorrow.

2 comments:

The San Diego Family said...

Ive never had "pre term labor", as my kids were all late. but right about where you are gestating at, is when I would have the braxton hicks- "practice labor". I too was worried, but was informed to take it easy, and keep hydrated, and that these are just the uterus's way of toning up for the big event of delivery.

Michael Gregga said...

From: http://www.justmommies.com/articles/cramping_during_pregnancy.shtml

Causes of Cramping During Late Pregnancy

1. Round ligament pain - The infamous round ligament pain strikes pregnant women often in their second and third trimester. As in early pregnancy the uterus continues to stretch and grow. As the uterus expands the ligaments stretch to support it. Mild cramping may occur.

2. Preterm labor - Cramping, mild or severe, diarrhea, and back pain can all be indicators of preterm labor.

3. Braxton Hicks contractions - In the second and third trimester pregnant women will often have Braxton Hicks contractions. Braxton Hicks contractions are the irregular intermittent contractions that occur during pregnancy.

4. Labor - During early labor cramping and back pain are common symptoms.

Because normal pregnancy cramps can be hard to differentiate from a sign of danger, we recommend discussing any cramping with your doctor.