Hello, dear blog readers! Well, more on the adventures of the traveling babe.
Part II: We had to drag the poor little man out of bed at 3:30 in the morning in order to make our red-eye flight. Suffice it to say: no fun traveling with an unhappy child. The grumpy business men were not impressed either, but at that point, I was too tired to care what they thought. Certainly wasn't our fault we were on that flight.
Part III: So when we went to check in at the Gallatin Air Field (the same field that wanted to test my insulin for potential hazardous components), I thought I had all my ducks in a row. I had a quart-sized bag containing infant tylenol and baby food. No problems there, or so I thought. I also declared the breast milk and Prilosec. As the TSA agent started going through the diaper bag, she decided the ice pack was a potential threat because it had started to thaw in one corner.
They also took his pacifier away because I went through the security screener with it in my pocket.
This earned us a full body search.
And by US, I do mean they searched the baby too. All but a cavity search. Poor guy.
As I was standing there having the agent feel through my clothing, I had an epiphany: next time I'll drive. Or fly into Billings. No more Gallatin Field. I think they must make it their mission in life to discourage potential terrorist populations among mothers with young children, invalids, handicapped, and elderly. After all, we pose the largest threats.
After that incident, our flight was delayed taking off due to bad weather in San Francisco. Thus, we arrived three minutes prior to our connecting flight departure. As I headed for the gate, I noticed there was no longer an agent at the desk. I found a TSA agent wandering the airport and asked him if he could direct me to another United agent.
He did not speak English (or at least, not enough to understand the simple question that I asked him). He directed me to a courtesy phone that no one picked up when I dialed. He then directed me to another empty desk. I smiled and gave up trying to get any fruitful information.
When we did finally get a United agent, we were rebooked on a flight three hours later, and we did make it home all in one piece.
Silver Lining: The baby behaved beautifully on the second leg. People didn't want to sit next to me, and so on both legs (including the extra long flight--approximately three hours--from holding around San Fran), we were able to have two whole seats to ourselves, which worked out great for a wiggly baby.
Anyway, dear blog readers, it's great to be back in our little apartment amongst our own grime again! Happy Friday to you all, and if you are traveling, may the TSA agents be more polite to you!
Friday, March 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
This just makes Mim mad. I am annoyed that you were treated like a criminal. And all of us know that this nonsense doesn't make any of us safer. It just makes us all miserable. If you want to have the next flight be better, wear a headscarf, tape a bumper sticker to your diaper bag that says: "allah ackbar" and carry a Koran. They will leave you alone.
Post a Comment