Friday, June 11, 2010

Plans for the day

Well, dear blog readers, I guess it doesn't take much to make my day. I only get to use my cordless power drill about once every year or two, and I got to bust it out this morning to hang my spice cabinet (which is actually a CD case with glass sliding doors from IKEA, and is surprisingly heavy for its size). I managed to hang it in record time--after much measuring for accuracy, I had it on the wall in less than an hour! I managed to measure the wall space, get the cabinet perfectly leveled, get the glass fronts cleaned...Plus, I didn't realize that there was a little level built into the top of the drill! All good and exciting things. By the time I got down from the kitchen counters, (Mike was my spotter, so don't worry), I realized that the cabinets were hung crookedly and that the distances between the tops of the kitchen cabinets and the bottom are different. Oh well. At least I know I succeeded in hanging something correctly, even if it looks crooked on the wall! I was just so thrilled to hang it with much less effort than the other times we've put it up that I don't care how it looks.

I've heard that white vinegar does a good job on glass, and was very pleased to see that it does indeed work. Plus, Mom had some good tips on removing wall grease and grime: 409+a dab of soft scrub on a wet rag does wonders! Hooray! I feel like I'm getting on top of things in the kitchen.

Other plans for the day include going to the DMV to change our drivers' licenses and to get our OR state license plates. I forgot to pick up a driver's manual to brush up on taking the written test, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll do OK. It would be really embarrassing if I had to retake the test again. At least work is about a quarter of a mile from the apartment (as the crow flies), so I could feasibly walk there for the next week or so if the written test doesn't pan out.

Well, dear blog readers, now that I've put my feet up for a few minutes, time to do some more unpacking! Happy Friday activities to you all!

No comments: