Good news, dear blog readers! The movers came today! Granted, they didn't call yesterday or today to let us know they were coming--I missed them by about 10 minutes due to hospital orientation today. Fortunately, they waited around for about an hour until they were able to get a hold of Sweet Hubby. He made them espresso over the communication confusion and they proceeded to unload our stuff. Right now the apartment looks a little like a disaster zone, but it's actually significantly roomier than we both thought it was, and so we have room to move around! Yay.
The latest insurance/LOA news (for those of you who don't mind me whining now and then) is actually good. I think, anyway. I'll still be able to take a personal leave of absence. I'll still be able to qualify for disability, but they put a cap on how much you get every week. Their cobra is almost $1700 a month, which means that by the time I have the baby and take a month off, I won't be making a salary from the hospital, but at least the Cobra costs will be covered (give or take a little) by the disability fund. Now all I need to find out is whether or not I have to wait a couple of months after I restart work for my insurance to kick in, because frankly, we can't afford two or three months of Cobra. We already paid for this summer's Cobra insurance. But, all in all, I'm thrilled that I get an approved LOA to spend with my little guy, even if it is only for a short time. I honestly hadn't thought having a baby would feel like a social punishment. How is it that my tax dollars make it possible for people to have babies for free, and those of us who work can't afford to have kids? Oh well.
Another highlight (Safeway aside) is that people here are really, really friendly. I can't recall the last time I've been in a town with people this friendly. The scenery is very unique. The rain will take a little getting used to, but it beats the Santa Ana winds!
Does anyone have any tips on getting rid of funny smells? I suppose I should qualify that: while Mom and I were driving up here, we had the cleaning and laundry agents in a box in the back of my car. Something leaked--I was never able to figure out which one it was, even after I unloaded the box last night. The problem is that it doesn't smell like a clean smell; it smells like moldering laundry. I've washed all of the clothes and linens that had been in the car, but I can't seem to get that smell out of the apartment. While I like household Fabreeze and stuff like that, mostly it just masks the smell. I've wiped all of the cleaners with a damp rag. Suggestions, anyone?
Well, dear blog readers, on that note, Hubs and I need to head to the store to get a few essential household items, and then it's time to make dinner and unpack some more! Oh boy! I don't know about you, but I find that if I can be just a little bit productive here and there, it helps the old stress levels a tad.
Thursday, June 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment