Saturday, January 1, 2011

Grocery Shopping Part II

Okay, dear blog readers, now that you have read the post for part I, I would encourage you to click on the following link in a different window and play it while reading this post. As most of you know, I've started collecting coupons over the last few weeks in an effort to decrease household spending and to get rid of some hospital bills, car payment, etc. (For those of you having difficulty with your computers, you know who you are, right-click the following links and select "open in new tab" or "open link in new window." Or whatever similar terminology your computer uses.)   :o)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWnmCu3U09w&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=MLGxdCwVVULXcN-l5frS-T5IUwmSlWc3vV

Okay, now that you have this song going in the background, imagine hitting Winco in the middle of the day on New Year's Eve. Imagine in slow-motion a packed parking lot, folks with carts full of groceries exiting the store, and folks going into the store squinting in the afternoon sun...Or perhaps with holiday suspicion and dread--like me--at their fellow man while going into a very busy store. Image in slow motion that as everyone bustles about as much as they're able in slow motion, breaths of cold air and stomping of feet are happening--much as horses before a race on a cold day. Now you have a little of the anticipation of the inaugural coupon shopping experience.

Now, my husband is very sympathetic to two things: #1) the fact that I was nervous about taking my coupon binder into a store for the first time--getting odd stares, getting grief from cashiers and clerks, etc. and #2) the fact that I have a near-phobia of huge crowds. HATE crowds! The biggest mistake I made of attempting to coupon for the first time is that since I had several coupons that were expiring yesterday, I managed to hit the busiest grocery store in town on a holiday. Note to self: never again!

That said, the dear man insisted on keeping me company with a fidgety babe while doing my grocery excursion.

So, now that you have a feel for what was going on at the time, here is the next musical selection for the rest of my trip through the store.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P79cVnDmzB0

And yes, I WAS just about pushing my cart through the store about this fast. If my sane hubby would have let me. Since it was so busy, we stuck to the small grocery list that we had. I did manage to buy four large cans of soup for about 50 cents apiece and some dryer sheets on the cheap, but the rest of the coupons remained in the binder for another time.

More couponing legends to come when I work up the courage to try again.

No comments: