Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Limbo Continued

Home, home on the range. Or, at least, home home in the....Best Western of Escondido? 

My sweet husband was kind enough to keep me company the other night while I surveyed the damage in the 130 degree or so heat. (Seriously, though about 120 degrees per our temperture control. My decorative pillar candles have all melted; our wine bottles that we forgot to take with us all leaked through the corks and onto the counter....) 

We went to do laundry the other night, and even though "we" had a stogie (or rather, Ghee had a stogie and I had a hookah) I shed a few tears. Today was a much better day; I have the night off. Mike and I went to check out a couple of videos from Blockbuster, and we've been sampling the wine we've salvaged from the apartment. Good night! Time for bed, though. Too much wine.  :o)

One of the many good things that have come out of this situation is the people that have befriended us. The Lord is always faithful to provide support in these "dark" times. There's one young couple from church that INSISTED on taking Mike out for lunch after the service. (Alas, I was sleeping for work and missed it. Oh well. I got to growl and return barks at a yappy dog in the hotel, though. He understood, even though his owners couldn't see me through the door.) Another couple that has kids older than us is taking classes with Mike; he and his wife have also been very gracious to us and have invited us over for videos on numerous occasions after the Sunday night services. Lastly, the friend that I met at the wedding last weekend and I are working on getting us together for dinner sometime soon. Even though she and I don't have much in common spiritually, we have much in common in senses of humor and fashion, etc. (Yes, night nurses DO have a sense of fashion sometimes, even if we do always look tired and frumpy at 4:00 in the morning!)  :o)

Not much new to report. Hopefully the fans will be gone by Wednesday or Thursday. The guys  monitoring the moisture in the condo won't be able to get them out before then because the parking lot is being repaved/resurfaced this morning through tomorrow evening. Ironic: the homeowners'  association cares a lot more about how the parking lot looks than how the plumbing works in all of their units. 

One blessing out of this: We will never be condo owners after the last two disasters we've been through. We're a lot better off being renters until (Lord willing) we're able to have a house of our own when  Mike takes a call. 


No comments: