Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Pre-Trip Musings

Okay. I have to work tonight, but in anticipation for tomorrow, I've made my list and am checking it twice. Laundry done: check. Bills paid: check. Bathroom cleaned: check. (Okay, maybe that didn't need to be the immediate thing to be done right before leaving, but it's nice to come home to a clean john and soak in the tub if need be.) Suitcase: packed. Check. Yes, that's the most I've EVER done in advance regarding a suitcase; usually I do it an hour before leaving home. I like this being prepared stuff!

Rondesvous with the neighbor: check. "And there is al-ways-some-thing therrre to remind me...." Poor Neighbor. She's an older lonesome lady that reminds Mike and I a great deal of Neighbor Wilson. Most times we don't see her through her screen door; we might catch a glimpse of the reflection in her glasses now and then. She totally knows EVERYTHING that goes on in the complex, though, and nearly panicked last time we went out of town because our car was parked at the airport and she thought (after three days of missing) it had officially been stolen and that we might have died in the apartment....Well, maybe not died, but she really did think the car had gone missing. It's nice to know that we have our personal protectant nearby. Seriously, though, I got the lowdown today on the guy who lost the condo upstairs due to poor financing decisions between marriages. 

I can't blame her for wanting to talk so much, though. With her cat as her only companion and only one living relative in the area, AND an inability to drive, she looks forward to any tidbit of conversation. Today's topics included the garden pests we've both encountered to no avail, her cat's activities and obesity for a four-year-old feline, and the "Neighborhood Watch BBQ" that Escondido is having. It's a town event to bring folks out and meet their neighbors in an effort to crack down on crime. She's pretty excited about getting to mingle! Can't blame her, though. Working nights and not seeing people too often means I'm usually pretty glad to chat with her when she hears me coming home in the a.m.

Let's see...so Mary has my phone number now if she needs it...Check. Two quarts of (cheap, rare, large, and fresh!) blueberries frozen: check. Phone calls made to people watering plants: check. (Yes, Neighbor could probably do it, but I think she might go through the place while we're gone. She can't really help but be nosy now and then.) And I think that's about it. Hopefully to bed soon with me!

One of these days I want to blog in a chapter or so of the James Harriot book I've been reading. He takes his veterinary experience from the English Dales and combines them with a keen sense of humor in his writing. Even someone who doesn't like animals (ahem: no names mentioned, oh family members!) usually finds his writing amusing, if for no other reason than that he deals with people and their stupidity and simple-mindedness in a fashion that is hilarious.

Until  next time, friends! Time to find a snack (yes, I'm eating before bedtime today) in  order that I might sleep......Ah, sleep....Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention. The giant white van I was complaining about earlier? I found out this morning that it belongs to one of my most favorite cleaning staff for the Birth Center. Fortunately I wasn't hollering in the parking lot today; that would have been mildly embarrassing!

No comments: