Saturday, December 15, 2007

Deep Thoughts on Favorite Things

So, dear blog readers, this morning after doing 45 minutes of power-cleaning our apartment, I find myself enjoying the simplicities of simple life.

Does anyone ever find themselves shouting out loud with glee at something unexpected? (Or, if not with glee, does anyone else ever find a reason to talk out loud to themselves?)

After coming home from work this morning, I pulled out my 2-quart casserole dish from its rightful place, and Voila! My missing rolling pin! I have been looking for it for the last 18 months. I put it in the cupboard and have since torn up all of my pantry space and every other cupboard looking for it. I even took all of the dishes out of the cupboard; I must not have taken out the casserole dishes because I thought I could see well enough. Well, after convincing myself that it was a victim of getting lost in the move, here it is. Aaaahhhh. I found myself in a quiet room exclaiming, "Rolling pin! SCORE!"

On the next note, I have found that I really really like the Organics line of salads. Most of the time their lettuces are fresher than most. Today I nibbled on an herb salad with Thousand Island dressing (compliments of the annual freebee food donations for Thanksgiving to the seminary students and families). I find that a salad is nothing without a decent dressing. You can have a bad salad with good dressing (although it will be a bad salad even with good dressing). You can't, however, take a really good salad, add bad dressing, and get a good result of good salad. It has to be both good dressing and good salad for it to be a REALLY good salad. All of that being said, I really like herb salads with feta cheese, tomatoes, and almond slices. Yum.

For my next favorite thing (aside from pretending the bills don't exist until next week when they're due), I really like baked grapefruit. Seriously! If you take a nice juicy red grapefruit, cut in half in a baking dish, and sprinkle a little tiny bit of brown sugar on top, you end up with a very yummy and healthy treat. The taste is less sour than with unbaked grapfruit, albeit a little bit of sugar really helps cut the tart. Just like apple pies. So anyway, if you don't mind making a mess, you can then squeeze out the rinds and get a good cup or more of juice. Something about baking the fruit makes them yield more juice. And if that isn't enough, you can cut up the rinds and put them in your garbage disposal to make your kitchen sink smell nice. Now who doesn't like their sink to smell nice? Mmmmmm....

On that note, time for some Gewurtz before heading to bed. I thought I'd try a different type of wine altogether this week. I'm saving the Electric Reindeer bubbly for a night off of work a little closer to Christmas.

Think happy thoughts today, dear bloggers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My wife rocks!