Sunday, March 11, 2012

Can't Take Us Anywhere

Hello, dear blog readers! Bullet points of the week: 1) We officially booked the family flights to North Carolina, 2) we settled on a mover (although the booking is still pending), and 3) the car shipment is officially booked. The plates in the air are feeling a little more stable.

So last weekend, Hubbs and I decided to celebrate his new job by going out to eat at our fave cheap appetizers place. The only problem is that every place in town was packed during happy hour due to some fundraising walk in town. About the time we realized we weren't going to get in easily, my blood sugar hit the basement, so off we went to Francesco's for some gelato. I was so shaky that on the way to the table that I dropped my portion face-down on the floor. As I was sitting at the table a few minutes later waiting for my sugar to come back up, Hubbs noticed Toodler happily licking his coat. Turns out that when I dropped my gelato, it landed on his head, travelled down his lapel, and then hit the floor. Poor kid! I hadn't even noticed.

After the gelato disaster, off we went to a local Indian restaurant we hadn't tried before. We were seated at a table close to the door. Since the table was smallish, we discovered that we had a difficult time keeping small hands out of the all of the various little dishes on the table. As we were packing up the leftovers, we discovered the unfortunate fact that the to-go boxes were environmentally-friendly....And so thin that they wouldn't hold food. As Hubbs was spooning up his tasty chicken entree, the box snapped in half, the restaurant dish itself went rolling down his leg, onto his boot, and proceeded to deposit the rest of its contents onto the floor under Toodler. Poor Hubbs and Pregnant Wife were making a joint effort to clean up the floor with cloth dinner napkins (since there was nothing else available). The whole time we were struggling to maintain any composure that we had, Toodler was happily waving at the other customers in line for tables while whacking us on the head with a spoon.

The poor kid was the only one at the table who came away for the evening without causing a major mess on the floor. While it would have been easier in some ways to blame the toddler, everyone else in the restaurant with a pair of eyeballs knew that it wasn't the case. I guess we can't be taken anywhere!

No comments: