Monday, October 22, 2007

Weekend Flames

And no, this time I'm not referring to my sweetheart.

Dear worried blog readers, just to put everyone's mind at rest, at this very time, our home and our lives are nowhere near the danger that others are in at this moment. Last night, a chunk of Ramona (15 miles away) burned through the hills to put Poway (a fair bit south of us) in proximity of fires. San Marcos (the next suburb northwest of us) has a fire started by the Cal State campus (or rather, behind the hill behind the Cal State campus). So, at this time, we aren't in any danger. I just want to put everyone's mind at rest as much as possible.

That being said, we do know a number of people from church and/or my job who have had to evacuate their homes due to the seven different fires that have all branched off (due to being carried on the Santa Anna winds) from the fire in Ramona. One nurse in Romana lost her home. Dr. Van Drunen's family had to evacuate, so in some ways this is close to home, even though we aren't in danger.

While we are not anywhere near danger, there is enough square footage being burned that it smells like a constant bonfire out here. Our glasses of wine had a skim of ashes this morning. (That's right; Ghee and I both had to have a glass of wine when I got home from work!) :o} It was a very, very strange feeling walking out of the hospital and seeing the northern skies looking a very fair blue color and full of sunlight, and the southern sky was a bright blackish-orange color. I took pictures (see below) of what the air looked like from our apartment complex at 7:45ish. (The blue skies are for contrast.) There is one pictures where you can sort-of see the sun behind the cloud of smoke. Unfortunately, these pictures don't really do the colors justice.

The plan for the night shift is that those of us who are supposed to work again tonight and/or whose homes needed to be evacuated were the first of last night's shift to be allowed to leave this morning. (I realize that sentence is hard to follow.) The hospital cancelled all scheduled/elective procedures (i.e. inductions and repeat c-sections) for the day, which should make things a little more doable for tonight's shift. When I return to work tonight, if tomorrow's staffing is worse than today (i.e. if more nurses had to evacuate their homes), I will need to stay extra.

The good news (there is always some) is that the Lord answered my (and your) many prayers: we are safe, we are not being evacuated, I had a TERRIFIC patient last night along with a very good work night, Dr. Ghosh (Ghost to most of us) ended up being put on a back burner, etc. We aren't panicked by the news, because the news doesn't actually report news. They only report that there are fires so that when people look out the windows and see the orange and smell the smoke, they think the fires are right next door. I personally encountered three families in the parking lot this morning who didn't know where the fires are, but they were evacuating anyway out of nothing more than panic. So, one of the best blessings for me is that I can get a good bit of sleep before going back to work again, even if I do have to work extra tomorrow due to the emergency disaster hospital status.

On that note, please pray for me tonight because I already know the stress levels will be high among the nurses at work for various reasons, mostly because we all know people or families that have evacuated or whose homes are in danger of going up in flames. People react differently to situations like this. My boss, a normally very uptight nervous person, is in charge tonight and Dr. Ghost is on for another shift. (Alas.) The other hospitals in towns that ARE being evacuated are sending their patients to Palomar. So, even though we aren't in any danger, Escondido is already being hailed in the news as "the hub" of evacuee stations and activities. Our local high schools are cancelled and are acting as Red Cross shelters for people in Ramona and other burned areas. Palomar Hospital is the main medical center for "relocated" patients from other areas. That alone makes things stressful.

Well folks, I'm finally able to upload my photos on Ghee's computer. Keep in mind that some of the coloring is due to the upcoming sun, although there's still a really weird orange glow on the furniture outdoors from the sky being darkened.

Dear readers, good night and good luck. Please continue to pray for us. P.S. We just recieved word that the seminary will be closed for the entire week due to the evacuation of some of the professors and students. We will keep you posted with updates.


Morning sunlight vs. smoke cloud
The sun rising beyond the smoke from Ramona
More southern sky (this is more what it looks like as the day progresses)
This is what it looked like when I came home. A little spooky. Felt a little like judgment day. One bright side: there wouldn't be a need for me to work nights anymore.

No comments: