Saturday, January 30, 2010

Bad Flavors

Hello, dear blog readers! That's right; the cat is officially out of the bag and Mike and I are announcing that I am expecting in August. Hooray!

I've been pretty lucky having sick leave the last couple of weeks due to a cold sore. The time off has allowed me to sleep. A LOT. If I could do a "not me" segment, I would mention that I haven't been sleeping until 10:00-1:00 in the afternoon. Ahem. But at least I've been able to keep on top of the dishes and laundry, not to mention the bills and taxes! And the Christmas Tree and decorations finally came down two days ago. (Who says I can't get the holiday decor out before February?)

I have to say I've been feeling pretty lucky about not having too much morning sickness, although I've noticed it definitely has a stronger presence with the progesterone supplements than before I started taking them. What I didn't expect with pregnancy is having a constant taste in my mouth that makes me feel like I've been sucking on pennies: it's like a copper-meets-sour taste. I've been brushing my teeth frequently and trying to eat sweet foods to alleviate this problem, but the result is that food tastes so bad, I've actually lost a few pounds due to lack of appetite. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Fortunately, it's supposed to go away after first trimester, so I should be there soon. Meanwhile, my dear sweet hubby is foraging in the kitchen for sour foods. We found online this morning that sour foods actually help disrupt the copper-sour taste, so I'm off to try foods that don't particularly sound very good, but what have I got to lose? Aside from the proverbial cookies?  :o)

Happy weekend (again), dear blog readers!


7 comments:

Michael Gregga said...

For those who want to know, I gave her pickles, which she hated, but it at least overwhelmed the taste in her mouth and helped it to lessen somewhat. Also, I mixed her up some Crystal Light Iced Tea, which already had a hint of lemon in it, and squirted in a bunch of lime juice, and that tasted really good to her. We read online that vinegar or other acidic or citrus foods will alleviate the problem a little bit. So pickles and lime juice was on the menu.

The San Diego Family said...

Oh my God!! Congratulations to you both!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you both!!!!!!!!! I just can't wait to see you! How far along are you???????

The San Diego Family said...

Did you see the heartbeat on ultrasound????? Oh, I just did the math...? 10 weeks along?

The San Diego Family said...

okay one more comment ;) How are your blood sugars doing??

The San Diego Family said...

Okay, one more question....or is it 2? Are you going to find out if it is a boy or girl, and when is the next ultrasound????
OOOOhhh I am so happy for you guys! God is good!

Night Nurse said...

I'll be back on night shift in another week and a half or so. Hard to believe!! To answer some general questions, blood sugars are still a little volatile. I get to see perinatology on Tuesday regarding the insulin dosing and also for a complete ultrasound workup. At first, I didn't want to find out the gender, but I don't think I can stand the suspense, so we'll probably find out at 20 weeks. I heard the heart beat a couple of weeks ago, and it was REALLY cool!! (REALLY reassuring, too!)

Danielle said...

Congratulations again!!! I'm just thrilled for you both! You are in my prayers!