So, dear blog readers, Mike and I finally managed to go see Avatar yesterday. I have to see that I thought it was really well-made. Of course, depending on one's political leanings, you might walk out mad if you aren't huge into environmentalism, earth-goddess worship, the military, or capitalism at large. With the latter two things, though, I'd say that those viewpoints in the movie were a bit far-fetched for the "real world." Even in modern politics, you can't just completely destroy and mine whatever nation you want without some chekcs and balances from other countries; there would be consequences. Well, maybe that's not true entirely. It's been known to happen historically.
All that aside, the animation was really neat. The only problem I had was my eyesight: for some reason, I just couldn't get my eyes to adjust with the 3-D filming. It wasn't a problem so much with the outdoor/animated scenes, but the indoor/barrack scenes were tough to focus with the 3-D glasses. Maybe I'm just not cut out for 3-D.
Overall, I'd say the takeaway is that if you don't want to spend the extra $7 or $8 for a matinee (I'm assuming it would be more for the IMAX or evening shows), the basic plot premise is worth waiting to see when it comes out in video stores. The animation is really why you might want to see it in theater if you like big screens.
Speaking of great shows, I'm fast becoming a fan of the Food Network's Good Eats starring Alton Brown. The first few times I saw the show, I only saw snippets here and there while I was at work. I thought it was a very strange program and a little geeky. Having watched a number of episodes by this time, I can now say that I actually really like the geeky tidbits that get thrown into the discussion. Those geeky points that he uses help us kitchen laymen to understand the basic chemicle processes that food undergoes during the cooking process, which is really cool! I highly recommend Good Eats to anyone that hasn't seen it. And, not that I need another cookbook, but someday I think I might need to invest in the Good Eats book.
That's all for today, dear blog readers! Happy weekend!
Friday, January 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment