Well, dear blog readers, I came online thinking I have a few clever ideas about blogging, but now that I sit here staring at the screen, they all elude me. Oh well. I managed to pick up a cold virus at work. Fortunately I'm off today and tomorrow, so I don't have to call in sick. Nevertheless, it's kinda frustrating to sleep all day and not get anything done around the house. Well, scratch that: I did a load of dishes; that's something.
I have to say that working in hospital setting has its pros and cons when it comes to sick leave. As far as management goes, I can understand where nursing staffing gets tight sometimes, and that you have to have rules in place to keep people from calling in sick to avoid working the weekends, etc. That being said, they ALSO don't want people coming into work while sick. To me, it makes more common sense to have your workers call in when they have to vs. having some looming threat over their head that they've called in one too many times and will have to answer to management for it. For example, recently we have a new rule stating that if you call in three times within a six month period, you will be up for attendance review by your supervisor. I know that I've had at least three minor colds since I've been working at Children's. Then there was Mike's surgery; I had to call in a couple of shifts because he needed a lot of help at home. Then there was the miscarriage. All good reasons to not be at work, but it makes me nervous about getting sick again. I wouldn't hesitate for the sake of my patients/babies at work to call in sick (they have limited immunity anyway), but I don't like feeling that I have a cloud over my head when I do.
Anyway, that's about all for the new attendance policy. Here's to your health, dear blog readers!
Saturday, January 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment