Saturday, November 13, 2010

Housewife vs. Sweet Meat

Hello, dear blog readers. What does one blog about when one only has a few hours of sleep and a baby who is awake and charming?  Why, the average household dreads, of course!

A couple of weeks ago I bought two pumpkins for carving and for freezing for holiday yummies. Well, as you can probably guess, the carving didn't happen for Halloween. Among the varietals I purchased is a green pumpkin called Sweet Meat.

The truth is I know nothing about saving pumpkin filling for the freezer. I need to look up online or in recipe books how to accomplish such a thing. It has become a daunting task, and with my recent work schedule, I haven't been able to set aside an entire chunk of time for this purpose.

Thus, this is how my day usually goes: I come home from work and walk into the kitchen. There sits Sweet Meat and partner in the corner. "Good morning, Sweet Meat." It only looks at me in its inanimate state. If it WERE carved, I think he would have an evil look on his face and would merely sneer back at me.

I go to bed. I wake up to feed the baby. As I sit on my couch, there sits Sweet Meat in the kitchen staring blankly as if to remind me I haven't done my duty. I scoot over on the couch so I don't have to look into the kitchen.

On my nights off, when 4:00 or 5:00 am rolls around the baby needs to eat, I say, "Goodness, Sweet Meat, I didn't see you there! You scared me."

One of these days Sweet Meat has got to go. Hopefully my dread of carving pumpkins will be assuaged and I'll have won the battle of the wills over Sweet Meat and company.

3 comments:

The San Diego Family said...

I haven't heard of that kind. Is it best for pumpkin pies??

Gospel.or.Death said...

Helloooo....sweetmeat...

It's like on Seinfeld: "Hello...Jerry." "Hello...Newman."

Here's a Youtube, to help you remember:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98dai6CC5BA

Night Nurse said...

It is good for breads, cakes, and cookies. (I found this out after I bought it.) My grandmother used to make pumpkin logs that were to die for; I'm hoping this will be a good one for that sort of treat.