Saturday, November 6, 2010

Quilting Days are Here Again

Hello, dear blog readers, and welcome to the Quilting Post! Summers are fun for picnics, BBQ, and, well, moving and having a baby and starting a new job. Fall, on the other hand, is about warm comfort foods, French Onion soup, and indoor activities like quilting!

My mom got me hooked on the idea about three years ago. I completed a scrap quilt for our bedroom. Mike loves green, and so the quilt is a pattern he liked with lots of green around the edges.

He liked the design for its grid-like "order" among the "chaos" of the star pattern. I liked it because it didn't seem to be too hard of a beginner's project. (Or so I thought at the time.)

Project #2 was a baby quilt with Moda's "American Jane" fabric line. Great for kids!

Project #3 was a fabric gift from mom for birthday and Christmas two years ago. The fabric line is reproduction 1930's fabrics, and the quilt is entitled "To Michael with Love." (Appropriate!)

After I had assembled the top, mom and I brought her assembled quilt top and mine (they were a "quilt of the month" project) to a lady in Helena, MT. This woman does an absolutely AMAZING job at a more-than-reasonable price. The downside is the long wait. After a year of waiting for my quilt, I received it last week when my parents came to visit. Here is the finished project--I have to admit I find myself thinking that the quilting is actually more beautiful than the assembly of the quilt! I'm still debating about where/how to display the quilt since we don't yet have a guest bedroom. Perhaps a quilt rack?
The backside of the quilt (photos courtesy of the camera I got for my birthday--I just figured out how to turn it on and take a few shots!
I had to put it in a chair for demonstration since Little Buddy was sleeping in the bedroom at the time.

And, of course now that I'm hooked on the quilting habit, my mom and sister and I have taken a few quilt/fabric shopping outings. I just took an inventory a while ago and have about 10 more projects ranging from the small wall-hanging size to full-sized quilts. I guess I'd better get started and hold off on buying anymore fabric, even if I find them for great steals!

4 comments:

The San Diego Family said...

Wow, what a great job on the projects! I think I am getting my sewing machine out this next week on my vacation time and getting it all set up and ready to go as well. I am getting the itch to make something too! What a beautiful addition to the third quilt as well. no wonder it took a year to do! Are you making any holiday projects for presents??

Night Nurse said...

No projects for the parents--sorry everyone! I'm still behind on baby projects! :o)

Deborah said...

The first quilt holds lovely memories for me of our crafting and tea times together and seeing the pictures made me really miss you. I love your newest quilt Pam. The quilting is really amazing!

Mim said...

Gorgeous! You are so talented. I am in awe!