Hello, dear blog readers! Well, I have to say I was a little bit surprised this morning to see that I haven't blogged in several days. In hindsight, though, I guess I did have to be at work on Tuesday during the day, followed by Wednesday and Thursday nights. In my spare time, sleep has been a top priority next to baby care. And there goes the week, I guess!
Another thing that's surprising to me is how much "stuff" in the apartment seems to creep out of where they belong. The old saying "a place for everything, and everything in its place" doesn't seem to apply here.
In fact, I'd say if anything, "Stuff" seems to like to violate those boundaries.
I used to live by the Fly Lady principals: starting the day out with an empty dishwasher, a clean sink before going to bed at night so a clean kitchen greets me in the morning, and 5-minute or 15-minute daily cleaning or organizing routines, among other things. Then night shift happened. And then so did moving to Oregon and having a baby. "Stuff" has thoroughly taken advantage of these situations, let me assure you.
For example: it seems only a few days ago (actually, a week ago) the bathrooms were clean and the kitchen was clear. "Stuff" decided it is a good time to start pushing boundaries. The morning after the dishes were done, there are four coffee mugs, a bowl, and several pieces of silverware in the sink.
When "Stuff" saw that there were dishes on the counter and in the sink, it thought it would be okay to venture out of other places, too. Vicks on the coffee table for the poor Babe who has a cold. Excedrin also on the coffee table...I can't recall quite why it is there, other than that I must have needed it one night. Mail in four stacks on the kitchen table. "Stuff" taking over the apartment like a game of chess: one move at a time.
It isn't as though there aren't assigned places to put things, although the mail usually gets the best of me. The problem with a small apartment is that a) we don't own the place, and b) there is only so much room to put things. I tried putting some hooks behind the door for coats, but that didn't work because the door wouldn't open enough for us to get through. Coats now abound on the couch and living room chairs.
I've thought a couple of times about calling a professional organizer to help corral some of our things, but with no hallway, there aren't a lot of places to put a coat rack or to hang various winter garments. I can't just install IKEA-type wallbound items on the wall without poking a bunch of holes in the walls that we don't own.
I'm completely open to anyone who has suggestions for basic household organizations, i.e. entryway with nowhere to put things, mail with no hall table or basket, and dishes that don't have a lot of room in the kitchen, so they migrate to other places. Help give tips to keep "stuff" under control before it dominates our residence!
Saturday, November 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
right now we are in the process of packing up our "stuff" to move to an apt...from a 3 bedroom house....we just have too much stuff...we are downsizing like crazy...I have some of those under the bed containers which are a lifesaver...maybe a couple of those. Our new place is too small to make a mess in even tho I know we will there too. When I live there a while I guess I will have more answers for you.
We called it quits on a bad bank loan and a bank that did not want to help us so they can have the house back...it was getting too big for me to clean well anyway and our new apt has a heated pool and a jacuzzi for my aching muscles from my fibro...so all in all it is a good move for us..even tho now I am nuts with all the stuff we have to get rid of. But the Lord is teaching me so much thru this about what stuff we really need. If it is dragging you down then do you really need it??
walmart,kmart or costco or web has those big bags that you could put clothes, blankets, ect in and you hook up your vacumme to the hole and suck up the air to make it go flat. store under beds.
Do you have pics you could post of your apartment, so I could think of some storage ideas???? I don't know the layout really.
We had the 4 of us, and then 5 of us in an rv for 2 1/2 yrs. maybe I can think of some other space savers.
I just saw a great idea online. In their bedroom they had quite a stack of suitcases. The largest on the bottom to the smallest on top. It served a great spot for storage in each of the suitcases, and they stacked great and looked neat. They got them cheap at a second hand store. I'm sure toppling over would be a worry for me with kids around. Perhaps 2 hoooks screwed into the wall stud at the top and bottom of the stack and rope running the length of the suitcases from top to bottom would keep them from moving. Did this make sense at all?? :)
I added 2 ideas to your facebook page with pics. Plus, we have moved at least 10 times in our 14 years of marriage. And when organizing, I try to think to myself.....have I used it in 1 year or less? If so, keep it, if not pitch it/donate it. Plus, I'll ask myself.....Am I keeping this for sentimental value? say, when a loved one has died to remember them by? Well, cant I remember them in my mind/heart better than a physical object? And I either keep it or donate it. That rule has cut down on our "stuff" over the years.
me again! :) I was a big collector of magazines, recipes, and recipe books. I don't know if you are or not. I had years worth of Martha Stewart, ect......If so, and you hang onto magazines/books, ect because you saw a few great ideas, recipes, hints or tips you probably have a boat load of books! When all you really want/need is a few pages out of each book! I condensed it this way: I got a spiral bound notebook with 100 pages in it. (You could buy just one or more-depending on how you want the catagories broken down) Anyways, you go through the recipe book, magazine or whatever and either photocopy the recipe/hint/tip, or rip it out and glue it/tape it onto a page in your spiral bound book! Then give away your books/magazines, and your ideas you've kept forever, and the boat load of books was condensed to 1" of space on a shelf! :) hope it helps!
Awesome suggestions! Thanks, ladies. I was debating about cleaning before posting pictures of the clutter (ahem), but then that would defeat the purpose for clutter suggestions. Pictures to follow in the next day or two.
Post a Comment